Version 1809 upgrade has caused MANY problems!

Reaction score
Yesterday, 12/15/18, my Windows 10 Pro upgraded to version 1809. After the installation my computer lost the background screen, several (non-microsoft) programs including Ccleaner, Malwarbytes, and Iolo System Mechanic. My EasyWorship program was ravaged with all the media files deleted, Scripture files deleted, and other changes to the program. Many desktop icons were removed. My settings for the network were changed. I cannot use Microsoft Edge, many of my programs no longer appear in the start-up menu. I find many Microsoft tools are either not working or have disappeared. I have had to spend MANY hours on the computer just to get minimal operation but it is not at all satisfactory. I attempted to recover a previous version of Windows 10 but could not - the files are not available. I have not done a Reset yet because I don't want to lose what I have, but it looks like that is going to be my only choice. Anyone else experiencing similar problems with version 1809?

Reaction score
Well, I have decided to do a "Reset" which is supposed to completely reinstall Window 10. Of course I will then need to reinstall all my other programs, setup all my network settings, and "tweak" each program back to their previous settings. The 1209 Upgrade has caused me MUCH work and loss of time. Windows 10 upgrades (updates) can be very bothersome.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of your experience. You are certainly not alone as we've had quite a few similar reports of issues with the major update from 1803 to 1809.
Hopefully you have your critical data backed up and safe.

You might want to consider a wipe and clean install rather than a reset just to be absolutely sure you don't inherit some registry issues that might manifest later as you are reinstalling your software.

I wrote a post back at the beginning of this rollercoaster about the importance of disk imaging and always make sure that I have a good image of my system before ever attempting any major upgrade.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
A normal 1809 upgrade would not normally do what you describe. So it may be beneficial to consider if something on your system was involved or even caused the problems.

Something like an anti-virus can block Windows from accessing certain places. Something like a System Mechanic could interfere and even try to repair some changes during an upgrade.

Having insufficient available disk space on the OS partition could result in problems.

If you do consider a clean install, I strongly suggest you allow the Upgrade to take place, prior to reinstalling your personal software. If it were to be some device or its drive, that would pin point which part of your system was having a problem.

Just to see what happens you may want to open an administrative command prompt window. If you type the command it will check your system files and show if problems were found. The log file produced will normally list problem files near the bottom of the log. It may even repair some and a follow on DISM command may repair even more.

SFC /scannow

You could do an in-place upgrade, but as Trouble mentions it may not clear out the actual problem and may keep you from recovering any of the files you need.

You may want to look into recovery software you can boot to before you make any large changes to your current install.

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with my laptop following the 1809 upgrade. It was working well UNTIL I ran the Iolo System Mechanic utility and allowed it to clean the files it recommended cleaning (thousands of files). I did call Iolo but all they wanted to help with was directions how to download their program. I believe the problem is between this utility and the Windows 1809 upgrade. I tried to explain to the tech support rep that they had a problem working with Windows after the upgrade to 1809, but he just said it is a Windows problem. I explained that it was a big problem to end users and if I have had it happen on two computers, obviously there will be many others. I recommend NOT running Iolo System Mechanic following the upgrade to Windows Version 1809!

Reaction score
I never understood why user trash their computers with unnecessary third party programs while Windows has a lot of tools already built in.
if it is ccleaner or any other program, most often they do more harm than good and it is NOT the problem of Windows to keep them running. If the manufacturer can't keep up, one should think about the necessity of those programs.
Rant over.....

Reaction score
Grizzly - the program that caused my problem is Iolo System Doctor. You have a good point. Time for the doctor to retire!

Reaction score
Grissly - Not Iolo System Doctor, it is Iolo System Mechanic. Evidently System Doctor was not prepared for the Windows 10 1809 upgrade.

Reaction score
I still advise against using third party "tools" and my name is GRIZZLY.
Might want to get in contact with iolo. Here is their phone# 877-239-4656 (US and Canada) or
626-460-2804 (International direct)

Ask a Question