SOLVED System font replaced by symbols

Reaction score
I seem to have lost the system font and it is replaced by symbols making everything totally illegible. How can I restore the default font if I cannot read any of the text to navigate the system? Please can someone help?

Reaction score
Do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.

Reaction score
Thanks David but I can't read any of the text (all symbols) so don't know what I'm clicking on in system restore options or any other options.

Reaction score
The following method is to go to Safe Mode.
Let me know if you can follow the steps........................
Shut down your computer, then restart it.
at login screen, bottom right, click the Power icon >
left click at the Power icon will show you the Restart option >
press Shift key and hold > click Restart >
select Troubleshoot >
select Advanced Options >
select Startup Settings >
select Safe Mode >
select Safe Mode option, #4, 5 or 6. Does not matter which one.

If you can get to safe mode, do your system restore. Make sure you pick a date when you did not have that problem as your restore point.

Reaction score
Thank you. Did a system restore but it didn't complete successfully due to an "unspecified error" (0x800700b7). I'll try to restore from an earlier date.

Reaction score
Hurrah! Thank you so very much David!

Phew !

To be on the safe side, and if you are still in safe mode, run a full virus scan.
Virus scan works much better in safe mode.

I'd suggest that you create a system image backup to an external hard drive when you are back in normal mode. Do that say once a month or after a large updates install.
It saved me many times when I had issues I could not solve.

Last edited:

Ask a Question