Linux Subsystem + Windows on ARM (WOA)

Reaction score
Recently I bought a Galaxy Book 2 as an experiment - I have a 2018 15" MacBook Pro which is my primary development computer. However, I do a lot of document writing and when I am doing onsite visits, I don't need my full programming environment. I wanted the battery life and cellular connectivity of the "Always Connected PCs" and half-heartedly bought this GB2. I have been VERY pleased with it so far. It has exceeded my expectations. If you stick with ARM / UWP apps then it runs like a really smooth i5 system. I found that Edge isn't nearly as bad as it was the last time I tried to use it. I have Chrome installed, but it is mostly as a last resort. I hear that FireFox has nightly builds on ARM, so I might give that a go.

I was also tickled to find out that the Windows Subsystem for Linux was supported! This is fantastic as it gives me some extra ability to do some coding in a pinch and use a good command line SSH client and many of my UNIX based tools.

Biggest problem is that lots is still x86 -- particularly, Visual Studio Code, the editor I prefer. It isn't too slow running under x86 emulation, but I haven't done anything real yet. For a pinch, it probably will be fine. I am assuming VSCode is still not built for ARM because it uses Electron.

Biggest problem has been RAM - only 4GB. If it had 8GB, I think this would be perfect for me. I have to force myself to remember that this is not my primary computer and then my brain settles in and starts to close stuff down and not spend time with many browser tabs open (primary RAM culprit).

I would never recommend this for a mainstream user, but for someone who can work around the limits of the platform - this is the most exciting computer I've had in a while.

Reaction score
1. update window ARM only, but system show unix ARM and lunix system and update going,
2. code running no idea, how to handle

Reaction score
Recently I bought a Galaxy Book 2 as an experiment - I have a 2018 15" MacBook Pro which is my primary development computer. free netflix However, I do a lot of document writing and when I am doing onsite visits, I don't need my full programming environment. I wanted the battery life and cellular connectivity of the "Always Connected PCs" and half-heartedly bought this GB2. I have been VERY pleased with it so far. It has exceeded my expectations. If you stick with ARM / UWP apps then it runs like a really smooth i5 system. I found that Edge isn't nearly as bad as it was the last time I tried to use it. netflix free trial I have Chrome installed, but it is mostly as a last resort. I hear that FireFox has nightly builds on ARM, so I might give that a go.

I was also tickled to find out that the Windows Subsystem for Linux was supported! This is fantastic as it gives me some extra ability to do some coding in a pinch and upcoming movies use a good command line SSH client and many of my UNIX based tools.

Biggest problem is that lots is still x86 -- particularly, Visual Studio Code, the editor I prefer. It isn't too slow running under x86 emulation, but I haven't done anything real yet. For a pinch, it probably will be fine. I am assuming VSCode is still not built for ARM because it uses Electron.

Biggest problem has been RAM - only 4GB. If it had 8GB, I think this would be perfect for me. I have to force myself to remember that this is not my primary computer and then my brain settles in and starts to close stuff down and not spend time with many browser tabs open (primary RAM culprit).

I would never recommend this for a mainstream user, but for someone who can work around the limits of the platform - this is the most exciting computer I've had in a while.

Reaction score
It's interesting that #3, being a repost of #1, has a couple of "free netflix" advertising links inserted in it, lines 2 and 7 of the first paragraph.

Ask a Question