Something interesting for Linux lovers (and others!!)

Reaction score
Interesting list Dave, I find it odd that the Linux kernel leads the pack!, that must be why Linus Torvald is constantly changing the kernel every two or three weeks?. :):):)

Reaction score
Not my field, but I guess, in the Windows context, it is attacked by what we call the rootkit?

Reaction score
There are several security vunerablities in the Linux kernel which gets patched very quickly, despite it being top of the list, I have never had a bug problem with any version of Linux I have ever used!. :):):)

Reaction score
If you look at the list again - another mystery. Why two IE entries???

Again, out of my depth, but I am a little apprehensive regarding android vulnerability - Two TVs and Two Mobiles using it.

Reaction score
but I am a little apprehensive regarding android vulnerability
The bug writers haven't even begun to build bugs for Android, when then do, oh boy!; that will certainly hit a lot of people worldwide because an awful lot of people have no idea about Android security and most likely don't even have an AV app installed on their phone/tablet!. :(

Reaction score
One good thing in favour of Linux is the good old "Repo", if people only install software from the repositories; they will have a good chance that they can/will remain bug free, the weak link is of course the web browsing habits of people and also whether they install 3rd party apps from untrusted PPA's (personal package archives). :)

I have used Linux since the days of Mandriva (now OpenMandriva and aslo called Mandrake at one time I believe?) and have never had any virus infections whatsoever, that isn't to say that I wasn't infected with any software from the NSA/CIA/MI5/KGB but I wasn't aware of any personal threat!. :)

That said, there was an instance where a(n) hacker/idiot managed to actually upload virus infected software to a repo, it was found within a short time by the servers AV software and removed!. ;)

I cannot comment on MAC as I have never used one and don't intend to own one anytime soon!. :D

Reaction score
Tongue in cheek again. As we are all well aware, these statistical tables can be manipulated, or accidentally distorted, according to the info which is fed in.
As you observe and state, often, virus infections are often caused by the use, (or misuse), of the operator. possibly, for the individual user, it would make no difference should the Os be Linux or windows.
IMHO, however, the majority of hackers are mischief makers, with no direct malicious intent. They are often drawn in by the challenge. When software giants constantly boast of their so-called security, the gauntlet is thrown.
I do wonder, with that in mind, if an open source product is sufficient incentive to inspire those hackers.

Reaction score
I wonder how many of the members of the Chaos Computer Club are really interested in harming rather than helping people?, I am sure that 99.99999% of the members are great people :) but there is always one isn't there!:

https://www.ccc.de/en/ (English/German website)

You are right of course Dave, an awful lot of people just click on everything within a web browser not thinking about might might happen when told they need to install sofware "X" to get something to work for them!. ;)

Ask a Question