Something prevented downloading and saving a files as .exe

Reaction score
Windows 10, KIS and MalwareBytes.

My default Browser is Google Chrome and is fully up to-date. As i believed I had a issue.with Chrome, I uninstalled it.

Still having IExplorer and MS Edge, one has Google as a browser and the other the default MS browser.

I browsed and downloaded from Google UK and Com the installer file in order to re-load Google Chrome. In both cases for whatever reason, the file would only be saved as a text file and not a .exe file. If I opened the file in notepad, it would all be gibberish as you would expect opening a application file.

To solve this in re-installing Chrome, I downloaded the same file on my Windows tablet, then saved on a flash drive. Using the flash drive on my laptop, I then re-installed Chrome with no issues of any kind.

So why would this same file not download to be saved as a .exe (application), even when all protections were turned off including Defender still in the background.

Reaction score
The file was ChromeSetup.exe, even saving it from the flash drive to my documents has the same effect, saved as a text doc, not as a .exe file.

Reaction score
thanks,

For whatever reason, now that Google Chrome is installed as my default browser. I can now download ChromeSetup.exe and save it as an .exe file.

So it looks if MS has a built in defence of stopping other browsers being installed/saved, other than its IE or Edge.

Ask a Question