SOLVED Linux

Reaction score
Bored with Windows 10, so am am trying to launch out into something new and interesting. I am posting this through @Zorin@ on a live CD.
Very interesting. It is almost identical to Windows and can even run some windows programs

Reaction score
Which Linux distro is this based on?
HI Tim,

it is based on the Gnome 3 DE which is what the next LTS (Long Term Support) of Ubuntu (18.04) is also based upon.

I use Kubuntu myself which is very; very similar to Windows 10 but without all the bugs (viruses)!.

Desktop 1_003.jpg

Hi Dave,

I have used almost all versions of Linux over the years, Zorin isn't bad but the devs often take their time with new releases and updates quite a lot!.

Anyone interested in trying Linux might find this site helpful:

http://distrowatch.com/ :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok. Now I am playing with mint

Anyone messed around with BBS. I read good things about it_

Reaction score
Tks. I have whistled through a few now. Very brief visits so my views are not really fair. But so far, I have not experienced any, including software, that windows 10 cannot do better or faster. They all, at my level of knowledge, appear to be basically the same "under the hood". One that did catch my eye, not yet tried, was Zevenos.
Sorry, not a lot of experience - yet, but I meant BSD. I ask, because I have been given an installation DVD for PC-BSD. I have googled it and the reports are very interesting. It is manned by a group of experts , who keep it up to date. faster than Linux. There isn't a live disk for it, so I either put it in a box or install it from scratch.

Reaction score
davehc, I could be wrong but for some reason I feel as if a livecd would operate slower. I wouldn't be satisfied with a comparison unless Linux was installed to a machine.

Reaction score
I understand that, Cliff. I am not, at this stage, concerned with the observed speed, I will take the critics word for it I am only familiarising myself with the contents and ease of use. For me it is just a bit of interesting fun.
My remarks on BSD are a little tongue in cheek. As I said, the Linux versions are all based on the same premise. Main difference appears to be the choice of desktop. The kernel is exclusively maintained by Linus. Reputable, but, I would imagine, not giving it so musch full priority these days.
On the other side, the BSD , in particular the one I mentioned, is run by a group of experts - much smaller, but not dissimilar to Microsoft.

Reaction score
As long as you are running a live version from a USB stick, there won't be much noticeable reduction in the speed of the OS, if however you are running it from a DVD, there will be a significate drop in speed.

One of the most complete Linux versions is Ultimate which is based on Ubuntu (Debian based OS), the only thing missing is the kitchen sink, not for people who don't like bloat as it is full of apps you may never use!:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ultimate :)

Have you also considered Android Dave?:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=androidx86 :)

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
While being very, very far from being an actual Linux aficionado....
I've settled on Linux Mint MATE. I keep a live distro on a 4 gig thumb drive and use it often on unbootable machines to rescue critical data whenever I get desperate.

Personally, I wish I could generate enough interest to become genuinely adept at using its' full potential but unfortunately, at my age I'm running out of storage capacity in my brain to acquire the requisite skills

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Mint because I don't like how the software is managed by the system!. :(
Easily changed.
One of the things I like about Linux Mint is that I can control the kernel where the Ubuntu don't give that option.

The PoorGuy :cool:

Reaction score
Hi @poorguy ,

that may be true but I was really refering to Synaptic of which I am a big fan, the version in Mint is restricted to a point which just simply annoys me, I know you can force a different version but don't really see why one should have to do that!. ;)

I am using Manjaro now as I had a couple of small niggling problems with Kubuntu (Discover among other things). Kubuntu is of course using an Ubuntu base but still lacks that certain something!. :)

Reaction score
Hey Wolfie,

Yep I understand.

I'm a Debian user and for me it works great OOTB and I'm good with the older software packages as they are proven and rock solid.

I moved from Ubuntu to Linux Mint as I got tired of all of the Ubuntu changes and Linux Mint seems to work OOTB.

I use old computers and hardware so newer kernels and newer kernel changes can be a PITA at times.

I like Manjaro as it is a good prerequisite to Arch which is my direction of travel.

Linux is an adventure for me and everything good comes with a learning curve and in my day we referred to that as life. :cool:

The PoorGuy ;)

Reaction score
in my day we referred to that as life.
You have a life, you lucky so & so!. :):):)

Joking aside, Mint is okay but just not for me!. I will see how Manjaro works out, I have had a couple of small problems but sorted them out. :)

Reaction score
Hey Wolfie,

One thing about a rolling release is there always something that slips by although for the most part Manjaro works great.

I haven't had any problems with Manjaro except the problems I've created thinking I knew what I was doing.

I'm running Manjaro 64 bit on a 2003 HP m7267c Media Tower with a oem Ati Radeon X600 PRO pcie graphics card and 4.0 GB DDR2 Ram and a Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8 GHz processor my first real dual core processor.

The PoorGuy :cool:

Reaction score
HI poorguy,

its running fine on my 2 computers (laptop and midi tower), I had another problem getting Google earth to install but got it up and unning after a quick read form the Manjaro man pages!. :)

Now if we could only get @davehc to convert!. :):):)

Ask a Question