Not pushing Linux but........

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'd hop on board with a distro of some kind....but I find that most if not all are cumbersome to use, not user GUI friendly and hard to navigate. Albeit the navigate part is the getting used to it....but it seems to me to backwards working. If the devs could some how simplify the navigational part with some easy user GUI's....then they would dominate the OS industry as a whole.

I've tried almost all of the distros out there and they all leave me disappointed.

Reaction score
Hi bassfisher6522,

the easiest GUI version of Linux has to be the following one!, it uses the LTS (long term support) model of Ubuntu as a base and is the best one for beginners I have come across. A plus is that it works well on older hardware!.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/ :)

Reaction score
I agree with bass, with some reserved thoughts. I don't think I could be so bold as to say I have tried most, but, I have had a go at several of the leading recommended ones, as Wolfie is aware. I think the navigation is, probably, a matter of getting used to it. An avid Linux user would probably feel the same about Windows.
Mu main disappointment, I would say, is with the open source software available. Most of it really dates.
But I found Chalet and Zorin have tried hard to emulate Windows. With the former, you can imagine you are back in Windows 7.
One interesting thought, though. If Linux is so magnificent, why are, almost without exception, the latest releases all trying so hard to be Windows look alikes.

Reaction score
One interesting thought, though. If Linux is so magnificent, why are, almost without exception, the latest releases all trying so hard to be Windows look alikes.
I can only speculate with the analogy of Windows Desktop wanting to be Windows Phone. Because that is where the people are, and they are trying to bridge a gap. People may not be using Windows Phone, but they are using a phone more so now than desktops.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hi bassfisher6522,

the easiest GUI version of Linux has to be the following one!, it uses the LTS (long term support) model of Ubuntu as a base and is the best one for beginners I have come across. A plus is that it works well on older hardware!.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/ :)

That one looks promising. I found a video where the gut has a dual boot with windows 10 and he states that he moved the grub to the partition he created so it doesn't install on the partition with the MBR for 10. Pretty slick...I need to learn how to do that.

Reaction score
My thought on it is that the creators of the numerous distributions of Linux are trying to get Windows users more acquainted with their version. Since most are free it's not a bad idea. There's a hundred listed here but probably twice that available:
www.distrowatch.org
I have Linux Mint 18 on a Desktop and a Notebook, the biggest transition is the Terminal [similar to Command Prompt in Windows] and learning the commands in a situation similar to DOS. I'm just glad that my work never required me getting into UNIX.

Reaction score
Zorin. My opening default desktop from a live cd, showing menu.

Zorin.jpg

Reaction score
Zorin isn't a bad choice Dave!. :) Only problem with the Zorin brothers is that they reallllllllly take their time updating the system!. :mad:

Linux Mint is a good option, it has many good features especially in the settings department!. :)

As far as Windows look-a-likes goes, most distros are trying to look like Windows so as to win people over, pointed out by @Bighorn above. :D

One of the best I have tried lately is Solus Linux, an Irish distro, very easy to set up and the software management is very well thought out with 3rd party software (repositories) just a click away!. (Skype, Google earth, Google Chrome to name but a few). :p

https://solus-project.com/

The beauty of the Linux desktop in general is the fact that one can download almost all the software they need from one place without having to search the web for it!. :)

Hi @bassfisher6522 , a link about partitioning in general, I haven't read through it btw!:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-disk-partitioning-for-linux-and-windows-dual-booting/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd hop on board with a distro of some kind....but I find that most if not all are cumbersome to use, not user GUI friendly and hard to navigate. Albeit the navigate part is the getting used to it....but it seems to me to backwards working. If the devs could some how simplify the navigational part with some easy user GUI's....then they would dominate the OS industry as a whole.

I've tried almost all of the distros out there and they all leave me disappointed.
Linux is no different than any other OS that an end-user isn't used to using as with anything new comes a learning curve. o_O

I have just come back from Linux to see if Windows 10 new update will support my 11 year old relic and surprisingly it does.

Although I now have to relearn all of my Windows as to what and how and where everything is so again a small learning curve. o_O

One must have a willingness to learn what one doesn't know or one will never learn what one doesn't know.

Only my opinion. :cool:

Reaction score
Zorin isn't a bad choice Dave!. :) Only problem with the Zorin brothers is that they reallllllllly take their time updating the system!. :mad:

Linux Mint is a good option, it has many good features especially in the settings department!. :)

As far as Windows look-a-likes goes, most distros are trying to look like Windows so as to win people over, pointed out by @Bighorn above. :D

One of the best I have tried lately is Solus Linux, an Irish distro, very easy to set up and the software management is very well thought out with 3rd party software (repositories) just a click away!. (Skype, Google earth, Google Chrome to name but a few). :p

https://solus-project.com/

The beauty of the Linux desktop in general is the fact that one can download almost all the software they need from one place without having to search the web for it!. :)

Hi @bassfisher6522 , a link about partitioning in general, I haven't read through it btw!:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-disk-partitioning-for-linux-and-windows-dual-booting/
I tried 2 of the 3 versions of Solus LiveDVD, not GNOME, and neither have built-in support for the Wi-Fi adapter in my Dell Vostro 1510 Notebook like Linux Mint does. Other than that it worked good. I probably could have managed manually trying to set it up but the settings wouldn't have been retained at a reboot unless I actually installed it to the HDD.

Reaction score
HI Bighorn,

I use (mostly) Ubuntu based distros, there seems to be good hardware support in general, another good OS is "PCLinuxOS" which has a few different flavours but works on old as well as new PC'S!. :)

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Solus OS just saved an old generic Vista laptop (W10 on it too) with the dreaded SIS GPU, the resolution isn't perfect but it runs fine with 2GB RAM. :)

Bif

Reaction score
I tried a Linux distro years ago, but this old dogs new trick learning days are over.. Windows 10 is a challenge enough.

Reaction score
I tried a Linux distro years ago, but this old dogs new trick learning days are over.. Windows 10 is a challenge enough.
Linux is actually user friendly these days although a slight learning curve which isn't hard to master if the willingness is there. ;)

Ask a Question