Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement

Reaction score
I've been around since Windows 3.1 days and used the standard file/windows explorer, but getting frustrated by the limitations in Windows 10. Right now I have a mixed network, mainly Windows 7 Ultimate PCs plus a Windows 10 Home Laptop, plus a Linux Mint and a Linux based NAS.

I like the facility available since Windows 7 days which allows you define the attributes visible by the file folder type - as I mainly do work with audio, video and picture files, it's really useful to define different viewable details for video folders than for pictures or music, etc etc. It's essential that the file manager replacement enables me to define the folder type in the same way that Windows 7+ does and enable full customisation of visible fields. I've read countless reviews of file manager alternatives but none seem to mention this aspect (unless I've missed it!).

Most times I am viewing in "detail" layout. My photos are mainly in Canon RAW format (.CR2 and .CRW) and under Windows 7 using the Microsoft Camera Codec pack I could switch to thumbnail view to preview the files - this is no longer possible under Windows 10. It is essential that the file manager replacement has the ability to view CR2/CRW files as well as JPGs.

Just wondering if I could draw on the collective experience in this forum please? Any suitable recommendations, please?

Many thanks.

Alan

Reaction score
First things first, you can't actually replace File Explorer [formerly Windows Explorer] as it is pretty much the core of Windows, if it doesn't work neither is Windows. You can get a free or paid-for substitute, some are good. I use FreeCommander, Total Commander and MultiCommander [on different computers]. TC is paid-for, others are free and provide 2 panes. A search on www.majorgeeks. com will come up with more. One that is rather unique is Q-Dir with it 4-panes.

Reaction score
The "Windows Explorer", renamed later, "My Computer", has been renamed "This PC".
Why on earth, in the first instance, MS have chosen to keep renaming the function, is beyond understanding. But, This PC can be used exactly as it stands, as the file explorer/manager.
I am not clear, Alan, as to exactly what it is you need.
If you change the first item in the view, as in my clip, it will show in a picture folder, small but full picture icons. However, I am not sure if it will do the same for Canon Raw format. I am unable to test it.
In other folders, such as music, it will continue to show in your chosen "detail" format. Perhaps, if you still have a windows 7 computer, you could post a clip of your setup, say, for music and pictures

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
A little history, back in '92 [and earlier] DOS was prevalent and Windows 3.11/earlier installed/ran on top of DOS. The main interface was Program Manager and File Manager took care of the files. The merge between DOS and Windows [GUI/Graphical User Interface] started the evolution into WinXP [Win2000 for business] where the OS and the GUI were together. Win95 through Win98SE and WinME still had the ability to boot into DOS, now called Command Prompt.

Reaction score
I use Total Commander, but I could switch to Double Commander with ease if needed. I was able to setup Double Commander to the exact configuration I have Total Commander. In the process, I noticed that Double Commander probably has more options for configuration.

https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/

Double Commander is a cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.

Here are some key features of Double Commander:
  • Unicode support
  • All operations working in background
  • Multi-rename tool
  • Tabbed interface
  • Custom columns
  • Internal text editor (F4) with syntax hightlighting
  • Built in file viewer (F3) to view files of in hex, binary or text format
  • Archives are handled like subdirectories. You can easily copy files to and from archives. Supported archive types: ZIP, TAR GZ, TGZ, LZMA and also BZ2, RPM, CPIO, DEB, RAR.
  • Extended search function with full text search in any files
  • Configurable button bar to start external programs or internal menu commands
  • Total Commander WCX, WDX and WLX plug-ins support
  • File operations logging
  • And more...

Reaction score
I am using total commander exclusively when it comes to moving files around (especially when backing up files). I am so used to that one that I have never considered anything else.
@davehc : File explorer can preview jpg,bmp and maybe some other files but not the canon raw format (.cr2), I tried. I am doing photography and store the pictures in RAW and jpg format on the SD-card (64GB).

Ask a Question