Looking for some advice on the .ico files used in Windows 10

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been working on a new PowerShell Tutorial which will include a new GUI which allows a user to Explore their Files and Directories, and drag 'n' drop them into a ListBox for easy exporting of file paths to a .txt file.

Screen shot below expanded to C:\Users\Regedit32\Pictures

Untitled.png

As you can see the .ico in screen shot are familiar but not truly representative of the Directories in view or the files in view.

Hence this thread - I'm not really a graphics expert by any stretch of one's imagination, so am after some advice on simple tools that can allow me to open the various Assemblies [.dll files] that contain the .ico files Windows 10 uses, so I can adjust my Script to make use of them - the intention being to make my file exploring panel, look like Windows 10's File Explorer.

I'm also wanting to create a some custom icons for the Form's title bar, and again, would appreciate advice on the simplest way to go about this [ i.e. good software for achieving this, and some pointers to any articles/blogs that explain how to use the tool to create an .ico file ].

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit Not my area of expertise. I just wish I could help you for a change, just once.

Regedit32

Reaction score
No worries Norton :)

That data member was seriously into the graphics; maybe he'll see the thread - he tidied up my two eyes in the dark for me *lol*

I can always hit Google if all else fails, but hoping someone has some experience to save me wasting time downloading software and trying to learn it for what amounts to a tiny project.

If all else fails I'll just code another script to disassemble the Windows DLLs that store these icons - but then my Tutorial will turn into a bonus part while I attempt to explain how that works :eek:

Ultimately though, it would be the best solution, because then I won't need to provide a resource folder for anyone wanting to use the Script, as it will just access their own Windows DLLs.

It's just at this stage its not a topic I really wanted to add to Tutorial 8, Part 2 as the information there is all ready getting close to information overload lol

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks Grizzly!

I'll take a look at that :)

You can pull bitmaps from DLLS in PowerShell, and then save to file on your pc, which is essentially what this program you mentioned will do also, but one advantage of your suggested program is I can see the bitmap before committing to saving as a file [ which is very useful because I do not know the indexed positions of the particular ico's I am after, so a quick visual scan will greatly speed things up in locating them! ]

Additionally, when I get to coding a Script to pull these files from their assembly, I'll know their indexed position which means I can create a Script using standard Windows ICOs and offer that to others to use without having to include additional resource files as I was mentioning to Norton earlier.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Re my comments to Norton & Grizzly

This is a taste of what I'm working on in PowerShell Tutorial 8, Part 2

As you will note its not quite right yet as I need to lose the black background on the .ico's, and currently its also not locating certain folders and items in the location [ in this instance its not finding the Recycle Bin or some folders ]

Untitled2.png

A slightly different format to my earlier post. You can now add a new folder, and more easily search all drives in or attached to your computer, and choose a view format you prefer. This GUI will form part of Panel 1 of the original image uploaded a few posts back [ once I fix the bugs :mad: ]

Regedit32

Reaction score
Update: Fixed the icons, adjusted the size, - one last bug to iron out

Untitled3.png

Ask a Question