SOLVED Looking for driver for Roland UM880 MIDI patchbox

Reaction score
Hi,
The title says it all...

I am involved in using keyboards and such as an input for my recording software.
The UM880 lets you connect eight midi-in-connections and 8 midi-out-connectons and do whatever you want (within certain possibillities of course) with these in- and outputs. Furthermore it has an USB connection, so the recording software can see the ins and outs.

I do have drivers for W8, but they do not work. (They do work in W8)

Roland has a driver for W10, but that doesn't work.

Found some other suggestions on the internet, they were all about making changes in the "RDIF1015.INF"- installation file, but to no success.

Hopefully somebody recognizes this and has a solution for this...??

Thanks a lot in advance,

Lody J. Claessen

Reaction score
Use your windows 8 driver and run it in compatibility mode in windows 10.
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
Yeah that's one of the first things I tried before and just now I tried it again, but the problem is that w10 comes back with "installed unknown program successfully"... and the installation window doesn't close down.
The only option I get is "Cancel" and when I click that, it will try to reboot the system....
The window that shows all installed equipment, shows "unknown equipment" (forgot the english term for Dutch reasons..).
I did find some suggestions on the Cakewalk forum, which involved making changes to the installation file RDIF1015.INF, but that didn't work either....
I must have rebooted my system about 20 times.... sigh....
It is such a shame when suddenly you can't use an expensive piece of equipment anymore for these reasons...
It used to work well in W8.1.... and in all OS's before that.

Maybe you have some other suggestions..??

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,

Lody J. Claessen

Reaction score
To all UM880 users in W10....
It took some time, but I found a solution.
I think it already had been posted a long while ago, but there were some reservations concerning timing etc.
You can set the UM880 to "generic drivers" instead of "Roland Drivers". This is achieved through a couple of buttons on the frontpanel.
You'll have to remove all Roland drivers and as a result W10 will install the UM880 with its own drivers....
I tested it and there hasn't been a problem up till now. I think that is also due to the fact that the computers nowadays are a lot more powerful and a lot faster than when the UM880 was born.
Success
LJC

Ask a Question