Looking for the holy grail of USB wireless adapters - no disconnect

Reaction score
I currently have an Asus USB-AC56 wireless adapter. It disconnects from wireless. No specific cause, sometimes it does it when idle, sometimes when gaming, sometimes downloading. Doesn't matter if its in a USB 2.0 or 3 slot or if it's on 2.4GHz or 5GHz. After a lot of searching for a replacement I discovered this is a common problem with Windows 10 and USB adapters. I've read through reviews of countless adapters on Amazon and googling and cannot seem to find one that doesn't have the same issue.

Does anyone know of a reliable USB wireless adapter that doesn't suffer from this disconnect issue? It doesn't have to be super fast, I'm not transferring files and my internet is 50Mbs max anyway. Thanks!

Reaction score
I presume you have told it NOT to save power down in the config pages. That was a fault with early W10. That power saving switch defaulted to on and so USB wifi devices would power down when not being used and not power back on.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Tim has an excellent point. The issue may not be the actual adapter but rather a power saving setting
AND
Because it is a USB wireless adapter the setting on your USB hubs are equally important so you may want to investigate these as well.

Capture.PNG

Anecdotally I can say that I've had very good success with a Linksys AC1200 Model #WUSB6300
https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual...79&sr=8-5&keywords=linksys+ac1200+usb+adapter
AND
A NetGear WNDA3100
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Rang...d=1543512469&sr=8-4&keywords=netgear+wnda3100

BUT.... That's just my experience in my unique environment
Your mileage may vary.

Reaction score
Tim has an excellent point. The issue may not be the actual adapter but rather a power saving setting
AND
Because it is a USB wireless adapter the setting on your USB hubs are equally important so you may want to investigate these as well.

View attachment 9532
Anecdotally I can say that I've had very good success with a Linksys AC1200 Model #WUSB6300
https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual...79&sr=8-5&keywords=linksys+ac1200+usb+adapter
AND
A NetGear WNDA3100
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Rang...d=1543512469&sr=8-4&keywords=netgear+wnda3100

Your mileage may vary.
My Netgear WNDA3100 refuses to stay connected to any Windows 10 machine. It stays connected until I put any real load on it like downloading a file or streaming a video. And I've tried all the published "fixes". It works perfectly fine on every other version of Windows going back to XP. Go figure.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My point exactly....
I have been using that particular NetGear Adapter on my wife's computer upstairs (wireless router downstairs) with perfect success through multiple versions of Windows 10 over the past couple years.
When I said "anecdotally", it was to suggest that everyone's particular environment is unique both physically (home's physical construction components, computer, hardware drivers, cables, ports, software, various external devices that may interfere, etc.,) and their usage / performance needs.

She uses that only for casual web browsing and email.
Although with respect to "downloading a file", I haven't noticed any trouble with it performing the normal Windows cumulative updates.
I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if I notice any drops.
BUT
My thought is that there is no "holy grail of USB wireless adapters" especially with Windows 10 and maybe even more especially with 1809.
It's more or less a never ending trial and error search for something that works particularly for you in your unique environment.

Reaction score
I presume you have told it NOT to save power down in the config pages. That was a fault with early W10. That power saving switch defaulted to on and so USB wifi devices would power down when not being used and not power back on.
Yep, it's configured NOT to power off in device properties, power plan set to high perf, and USB selective suspend is disabled.

Reaction score
AND

View attachment 9532
AND
A NetGear WNDA3100

Your mileage may vary.
Oh, I didn't think about the USB controllers. Thanks, maybe that'll fix the whole issue!

Reaction score
My point exactly....
I have been using that particular NetGear Adapter on my wife's computer upstairs (wireless router downstairs) with perfect success through multiple versions of Windows 10 over the past couple years.
When I said "anecdotally", it was to suggest that everyone's particular environment is unique both physically (home's physical construction components, computer, hardware drivers, cables, ports, software, various external devices that may interfere, etc.,) and their usage / performance needs.

She uses that only for casual web browsing and email.
Although with respect to "downloading a file", I haven't noticed any trouble with it performing the normal Windows cumulative updates.
I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if I notice any drops.
BUT
My thought is that there is no "holy grail of USB wireless adapters" especially with Windows 10 and maybe even more especially with 1809.
It's more or less a never ending trial and error search for something that works particularly for you in your unique environment.
I agree, there is no holy grail of USB wireless adapters. Like you said everyone's situation is different. I find most work very well. I've never had issues with Linksys, but I'm sure others have.

As far as the original poster, I think any name brand adapter would be a good place to start. If it doesn't work out for you individual situation, you can always sell it and try another brand. Fortunately most are pretty inexpensive. I believe I paid $15 for my Netgear.

Reaction score
I currently have an Asus USB-AC56 wireless adapter. It disconnects from wireless. No specific cause, sometimes it does it when idle, sometimes when gaming, sometimes downloading. Doesn't matter if its in a USB 2.0 or 3 slot or if it's on 2.4GHz or 5GHz. After a lot of searching for a replacement I discovered this is a common problem with Windows 10 and USB adapters. I've read through reviews of countless adapters on Amazon and googling and cannot seem to find one that doesn't have the same issue.

Does anyone know of a reliable USB wireless adapter that doesn't suffer from this disconnect issue? It doesn't have to be super fast, I'm not transferring files and my internet is 50Mbs max anyway. Thanks!
This AC 1200 dual band is arriving today, so I'll let you know how it works. It was the best of the best on one of the lists, and it's apparently discounted by $10 for Cyber Monday, or perhaps for Christmas when you click on the coupon :) Go here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FOHJAY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--David

61Sq4DxyQiL._SL1500_.jpg

Reaction score
This AC 1200 dual band is arriving today, so I'll let you know how it works. It was the best of the best on one of the lists, and it's apparently discounted by $10 for Cyber Monday, or perhaps for Christmas when you click on the coupon :) Go here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FOHJAY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, I saw that pop up in the lists as well. Let me know how it works.
I'm going to try a refurbished WUSB6300. I never tried turning off the power management on the USB hub itself, that may be the trick.

Reaction score
Hi @mikmeh, so far so good on the NET-DYN :) Installation went smoothly and the connection to both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz seems flawless in the first hour of operation.

I'll have my laptop with me at home this weekend, so I'll check back in and let you know how things are going. If you don't mind, let me know if turning off your hub's power management works for you, especially with your old adapter, as I would be interested to know.

Thanks!

--David

Reaction score
OK, I've remained solidly connected to the Internet through the Net-Dyn adapter on the 5 Ghz band for about 10 hours now, except for my intentional reboots. The connection came back after logging into Windows, but it took time to do so (unlike the PCI card in my laptop, which is always connected the moment I'm back in Windows .. unfortunately, the PCIE is only 2.4 GHz).

I rebooted a second time. but this time I removed the adapter and then plugged it back in after my laptop was back in Windows. That worked better and took less time to establish a connection to the network/internet, just FYI.

--David

Reaction score
After a lot of searching for a replacement I discovered this is a common problem with Windows 10 and USB adapters.
I was under the impression it was a common problem with many types of Wi-Fi adapters. I have had good luck with ASUS Networking products and currently running a GT AC5300 router, which is steady as a rock with all 6 of my systems and the latest Win 10 build. I have one old Belkin wireless-N USB adapter but it is not currently installed on any system but I would think any AC type wireless adapter would work fine in Win 10..

This fairly new router has gotten multiple firmware updates in the last year, possibly in an effort to keep up with changes in Win 10. A couple of points, when a wireless adapter may be allowed to sleep, the system should be able to get it to reconnect when it wakes up. This may be a result of the software being run since most Wi-Fi adapters are allowed to be turned off to save power.

Secondly, if you look at the Device Manager and Properties of the adapter, there will be an events tab. You might check that to see if there is a running log entry showing the system being disconnecting or some driver needing to be installed. When you check that window, the later entries are on the bottom and you may have to scroll down and select the entry specifically to see what it says.

Reaction score
Just FYI, my Net-Dyn AC 1200 USB adapter continues to impress. It delivers very high speeds at 5 Ghz (close to my wired speed) and faster speeds on the 2.4 GHz band than my internal PCIE card is capable of, with no disconnections on either band so far.

Of course, it is brand new, so if I see any evidence of connection problems with it in the future, I'll be sure to drop back by and report them.

--David

Reaction score
@st_worm2 So far the old Asus USB-AC56 is working great with those power settings off. I also have usb suspend turned off as well. I did have to use some different drivers to get it working on 5G though, some realtek I have saved but don't remember where I got them.

Reaction score
@st_worm2 So far the old Asus USB-AC56 is working great with those power settings off. I also have usb suspend turned off as well. I did have to use some different drivers to get it working on 5G though, some realtek I have saved but don't remember where I got them.
Great to know, thanks :)

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but I gotta ask.

Are the USB wireless adapters being discussed here required ONLY when the PC/laptop does not have resident wireless capability. I have a Netgear WNDA3100 and a D-Llink DWA171NA laying idle in a desk drawer. Don't even know for sure why I have them unless they were in some of the old computers that I have disposed of.

Is there a reason why I should keep on keeping them?

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but I gotta ask.

Are the USB wireless adapters being discussed here required ONLY when the PC/laptop does not have resident wireless capability. I have a Netgear WNDA3100 and a D-Llink DWA171NA laying idle in a desk drawer. Don't even know for sure why I have them unless they were in some of the old computers that I have disposed of.

Is there a reason why I should keep on keeping them?
Yep, the adapters can be used to give any computer with a USB port access to the internet. Laptops come with a wireless card installed inside the laptop, desktop PC's usually do not. I have a desktop PC that I cannot add a card internally, so I need a USB adapter. If all your computers have wifi built in and you don't plan on buying a desktop without wifi you can get rid of them. You can probably get a couple bucks (prob $10 each) for them so don't just throw em out.

Ask a Question