Creators Update: Add Control Panel to Win + X

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Since Insider Previews since build 14942 changed the Win + X menu and removed access to the Control Panel. With the release of Creators Update 1703 users unfamiliar with Insiders builds will notice the new and not improved Win + X menu and wonder where's the Control Panel link has gone and why replace it with Settings since its already available in Start Menu.

While the control panel exists in Windows 10 and no simple solutions with one click or less by default, lets restore it for now.

Tested working OK with Creators Update 1703 15063.138

There are a few solutions going around, some dont work properly (where designed for and to be honest this maybe not the best way, but it works.

Left: Anniversary Update 1607 ............... Right: Creators Update 1703

1607.PNG

Preparation:
  • Download WIN + X Menu Editor and extract zip to your Desktop.
  • BACKUP the contents of
    Code:
    %LocalAppdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
Notes:
  • You may however need to repeat this if further builds remove the tweak.
  • WARNING INCOMPATIBILITIES: DO NOT CLICK Restore defaults option in Win+X Menu Editor this is incompatible with Windows 10 1607 and 1703 the result will be most options will be removed )
Doing the Deed:
  1. Launch the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win+X Menu Editor.
  2. Select the group you want to add the Control Panel link to (via left-clicking on it).
  3. Select "Add a program" > "Add a Control Panel item" > Control Panel.
  4. This adds a Control Panel link to the selected group.
  5. Click Restart Explorer.
  6. Close Win+X Menu Editor.
winxmenuctrlpan.gif

Result

1703.PNG

Have you been naughty and ignored the backup?

Attachments

• WinX.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm did that person name himself after the Windows Vista Aero theme :rolleyes:

I'm sure many will love that tool Data.

I'm determined myself to adapt to the inevasible future for Windows - the 100% deprecation of Control Panel

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Hmm did that person name himself after the Windows Vista Aero theme :rolleyes:
Weirder things have happened, Im thinking of changing my nick to notepad.exe hahahaha :)

I'm determined myself to adapt to the inevasible future for Windows - the 100% deprecation of Control Panel

Ms can deprecate it all they like, as long as there is a suitable method to access those configuration settings that I cant find in current settings areas.

We will all have to resign to whatever lump we are given in the end. :(

I think they replaced Control Panel with Settings entry was like putting the horses behind the cart.

I'm sure many will love that tool Data.

That tool Im surprised it works, but, for instance, pressing Restore defaults, will remove almost all the options, so that Restore defaults is not compatible with 1607 or 1703.

The rest seems to work more or less, though if you navigate to
%LocalAppdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3 there are shortcuts in there that dont show up in menu, Ill have to look at the hidden settings files and see why.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The tool has been around for a while
@davehc made me aware of it a few years back on the old site
https://www.win8forums.com/threads/windows-key-x.758/#post-3866
Where he posted a link to the .exe
I've used it often to add a few things here and there that I thought might be useful to include in the X-Menu / Power Users menu
Now, though almost exclusively just to add back the "All Control Panel items".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds about right, since I believe it was created for Widnows 8 or perhaps 8.1 ( IDK ).
As long as it still works and Microsoft doesn't break it..... I'm a happy camper.

Screenshot (13).png

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Excellent @Trouble ;)

s long as it still works and Microsoft doesn't break it..... I'm a happy camper.

According to website, it has some minor fixes to make it work with windows 10, but of course, and Ill point out again that the Restore defaults, is Incompatible with at least 1607 and newer.

If it lasts till Control Panel is gone ;)

Though this can be done manually, just more files to edit, I didnt want people to edit hidden system files, even if I made a backup for those who didn't bother...

Reaction score
Not sure what this is about (sound familiar?) Maybe you guys are talking about insider thr3 releases? But , in the Creators update,I use the Control Panel down in the Start menu - Windows System
It can also be accessed through several of the settings eg Devices - Printers and Scanners. Click devices and printers over on the right and there is the good old Control Panel.
As we have all read, however, it is MS intention to move all the items into the Settings.
I have it pinned to the taskbar.
But, even better, I also have the so called "God Mode" pinned to the taskbar. One click and I can select the Control panel if required.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Yep you can access it many ways, anyway, anyone can have their favoured way, until its all gone.

Reaction score
Last update 5 years ago, so... a while :)
It has been kept serviced and the latest is fully compatible in Windows 10, as you have found. I had even forgot my original link.But it was in the Windows 8 section, and,presumably, whatever version it downloads is still working in 8

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
It has been kept serviced and the latest is fully compatible in Windows 10

I reckon it was made to be compatible with the first Windows 10 RTM, after that, all development was abandoned.

Reaction score
You always seem to want the last word, even if a one liner. If you don't like or trust the program, don't use it!

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I thought this was a discourse not a competition. Im sorry you feel that way, thank you for your feedback.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought this was a discourse
It certainly is and where your contributions occur should not matter, first, last or somewhere in between. Only the contents of that contribution is of any consequence.
If you don't like or trust the program
I will admit up front that I was a bit skeptical on the "trust" front when I noticed where the author was based. Any URL that ends in .ru gives me a bit of trepidation, but....
I figured that if it had your seal of approval, I would give it a go.
Glad I did, been using it ever since to one degree or other. I admit to getting a little carried away at first.
AND
Now..... I have the "last word"
At least temporarily.

Ask a Question