SOLVED Creators Fall Update - Google Chrome keeps starting on boot

Reaction score
I went in to Config and unchecked the tab for Google Chrome NOT to start, but it still does it. Did not happen until this update.
Help!

Reaction score
Check startup tab in Task manager. If Chrome is there then disable it. I have not seen this but there are a couple of oddities with Chrome version 62 in the fall update.

Reaction score
Try this. Before you shutdown make sure all apps especially Chrome are closed. Go to Task manager and see if Chrome is still running...might be as many as 12 tasks. Stop the main task. Reboot and see if Chrome comes up. Hopefully it won't. When you do start Chrome it will probably show a dialog box that says 'Chrome did not shut down properly...' Kill that.

Run a Malwarebytes scan and see what it finds.

Reaction score
Did as you said, and also did a right-click on chrome icon and unchecked "let it run in background", so no more e-mail notifications, but Chrome no longer starts up on boot. Thx

Reaction score
This has also happened with my Outlook 2016 and the virtual keyboard ever since the update. I covered theh Outlook issue on another thread on this forum. I could not stop Outlook from starting on its own no matter what I did but all of a sudden this week it stopped so I am holding my breath. I fixed the virtual keyboard issue by moving it from taskbar to desktop.

Reaction score
Did as you said, and also did a right-click on chrome icon and unchecked "let it run in background", so no more e-mail notifications, but Chrome no longer starts up on boot. Thx
I see you got this fixed, but just in case it comes back, you can also go to
Alt+E>Settings>Advanced>uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"

Ask a Question