Fall Creators Update

Reaction score
I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what?

Reaction score
If it rolled back you probably have a log which could reveal the reason.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors

Otherwise, have you made any changes to your basic configuration? Do you feel you have enough free space on your drive? Do you have any external devices connected through hardwire or even network locations?

I just took a system which had been unused since March. It installed the update for the 1607 build and maybe some updates and then jumped to the 1709 build and currently shows 16299.125. It took quite a while longer than other systems just updating from a prior build. One thing I watch is the drive activity because while the system is downloading and preparing the install. It will check the files already on the drive to see what it needs for the upgrade.

Reaction score
It installed the update for the 1607 build and maybe some updates and then jumped to the 1709 build and currently shows 16299.125. It took quite a while longer than other systems just updating from a prior build.
Just a note: going from Version 1607 to Version 1709 was an Upgrade after which the Build was an update to that which most likely explains why it took so long. One can equate the Build with the older Service Pack. If going by what has happened the last 2 years we may be able to count on Version Upgrades twice a year and perhaps Builds to modify those more frequently.

Ask a Question