SOLVED Post creators update USB problem

TJJ

Reaction score
Since the Creators update I have found that sometimes but not everytime I plug in an external drive I get the sounds of it being plugged in but it doesn't appear in File Explorer. This has happened with three different types of drive. An HDD for my backups, a camera memory card and a USB drive. When this happens the next time I restart I get blue screen telling me it will restart and a repair routine that doesn't work. I have to use System Restore to get running again. Any ideas welcome.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You might want to try checking with your system manufacturer or your motherboard manufacturer and see if they have
A BIOS update
A Chipset update
OR an update specifically aimed at the USB subsystem.
In some system, especially those with USB 3.0 or higher third party chipsets they might require a driver package to work correctly and reliably.

Reaction score
The creators update tends to put drivers into areas that it sometimes cannot properly find/install. I have had to update my USB 3.0 drivers and NVidia Graphics card drivers because of this issue e.g. They did 'work' sometimes with the USB 3.0 and not properly with my Graphics card.

Reaction score
I had minor problems with this, at an early Windows 10 stage.
What worked for me:
I entered the device manger and, on all the USB Hubs and Mass storage devices (there are several) I right clicked and selected the properties on each, then power management, and Unticked the small square "allow the computer to turn off this device"
fwiw. two of my hubs were generic only. I was unable to find any related drivers.

TJJ

Reaction score
I had minor problems with this, at an early Windows 10 stage.
What worked for me:
I entered the device manger and, on all the USB Hubs and Mass storage devices (there are several) I right clicked and selected the properties on each, then power management, and Unticked the small square "allow the computer to turn off this device"
fwiw. two of my hubs were generic only. I was unable to find any related drivers.
Thanks Dave.but im case I think it is time to replace my very elderly PC

Ask a Question