Unable to release Screen Saver or Sleep Mode in Windows 10 (post KB4038806)

Reaction score
Ever since I applied the latest Windows 10 update (KB4038806 and Version 1703 for Windows Creator), I have been unable to return to my active Windows session from either Screen Saver or Sleep Mode via the normal method of a key click or mouse move. My workaround to return to the screen now needs to be done with with a soft boot (and cancel from Task Manager) or hard boot. This happens whether I force the Screen Saver to become active or if it happens after a normal timeout (setting of 15 minutes idle).
Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you resolve?

Note: I am running Windows 10 (64-bit) in Win 8.1 mode.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Update - I am able to get the Sleep Mode to release back to the computer, it just appears to be slow in responding. The Screen Saver still appears to function as originally indicated and does not allow Windows control back again.

Reaction score
After doing some testing, it appears that this issue only occurs with Screen Savers run from Photo Gallery. Also, I am running Windows 10 in 8.1 mode.

Ask a Question