Lost "Rich Text Document" on the Menu when right clicking.

Reaction score
Something went wrong after Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version:1607) was downloaded. When right clicking so I can
create a "New" document, preferably "Rich Text Document", the only one that shows up on the list is "Text Document", it
would be nice if someone can explain how I can get it back on the list (the "Menu" list).

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Happy Gill,

The context menu is controlled by ShellNew entries under the HKEY_Classes_Root in your Registry.

If you'd like to add the option to select New > Rich Text Document to you context menu then follow the following instructions to achieve this option:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control opens click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window now open type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\Word.RTF.8\ShellNew" /v Filename /t reg_sz /d Document.rtf

Press Enter key to execute

You'll see a confirmation that action was successful.

Type Exit then press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt window.

Now right-click on Desktop and select New - you may not see the Rich text option yet. If you don't Right-click on Desktop a second time and select New again and this time you'll see it.

If you prefer not to do all that typing I've attached a REG file you can simply download, right-click on and choose Merge to do the above automatically. After downloading, always do a quick virus scan of the downloaded file first.

Regards,

Regedit32

Attachments

• RichTextDocument.reg
    109 bytes · Views: 1,098
Reaction score
Did everything you instructed me to do. Still dont see it on the sub-menu list after right clicking on the Desktop. I also tried to apply it inside of "File Explorer", no luck. I really appreciate your help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The System needs to update itself when you make a change to the registry.

You could try refreshing desktop, or simply restart computer for changes to take affect.

Before doing that though you could check your change took affect by:
  • Right-clicking on Start
  • Left-clicking on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control opens click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt now open type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\Word.RTF.8\ShellNew"

Press Enter key to execute

You ought to see the following:

Untitled.png

Can you confirm you see this result?

If the edit did take place and restarting computer still has no affect, then we can try a trick you used to do in Windows 7 days that may work in Windows 10 - although I've not had to do that myself as the edit I gave you worked fine on its own.
I'll wait till you respond to above first though.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If the edit did take place and restarting computer still has no affect, then we can try a trick you used to do in Windows 7 days that may work in Windows 10 - although I've not had to do that myself as the edit I gave you worked fine on its own.

Good morning Regedit32,
I am experiencing a similar issue : added reg; query says it is fine but it did not work even after restarting the PC.

Could you please post the Window 7 trick? Maybe it does not work in Windows 10 but.... that would be handy if it works with Windows 8.1.

Reg Query RTF --- 2019-11-15_14-49-40.jpg

Thank you.

Reaction score
I got a few more choices on the right-click context menu of the desktop, put there during install of, and association with, the free LibreOffice, RTF is one of those.
1573833146713.png

Reaction score
Thank you Bighorn but I do not need and cannot install LibreOffice. That is the reason I asked Regedit32 about that special Windows 7 tweak.

Reaction score
Just pointing out the possibility the association of a file format/type to an installed program may be a 'fix'.

EDIT: that comment was from one of my Notebooks, this image from my main computer supports my thought about the file association:
1573834715730.png

This shows choices when right-clicking an RTF file:
1573835024475.png

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Could you please post the Window 7 trick?

Hi dario33,

The Windows 7 basically controlled file types in a similar manner, but pointed to a NullFile String value.

Windows 10 specifically points to Wordpad.exe for handling RTF files, and by doing do adds the Rich Text Format to your Context > New menu.

I'm not sure why it is yours has decided to disappear on you, but I can confirm that either the Windows 7 method, or restoring the Windows 10 method will result in you seeing Rich Text Format on your Context > New menu.

Before I post further, can you post a couple reg queries of your .RFT hive:
  1. Code:
    reg query HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf

Sample image
    cmd.png

2. If the first reg query displays HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew as its last entry, can you also post your reg query result for this:

Code:
    reg query HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Not optimistic, but try this:
rtf is the default for Wordpad.
First, look in the settings - Apps - default Apps. - Set defaults by App.
Scroll down the huge list and find the rtf.
Click Wordpad and "Manage"
In the list that opens, make sure that Wordpad is selected s the option.

Reboot, or log out and in. See if the item is now in the context menu.

Ask a Question