Taskbar/Desktop goes black/disappears, then comes back

Reaction score
I have been having a relatively major issue with my Windows 10 laptop. Every once in awhile, the desktop and taskbar will just disappear for 5 minutes or so and then come back. It seems to happen a lot when trying to adjust the volume. Before it goes away, when I hover over the taskbar, I get the spinning circle, just over the taskbar. Any ideas as to what this could be, and a way for it to be permanently fixed? Also, it should be worth noting that I upgraded to Windows 10. The computer was originally loaded with Windows 8.

Reaction score
Windows 10 Home
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.125

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook
Intel Core i3-4000M CPU @ 2.40 GHz
4.00 GB RAM

It happened this evening while watching Hulu, but was much more problematic. I was watching Hulu in full screen, hit escape to exit full screen, the whole screen went dark and then nothing. I ended up restarting. Then again, while I was trying to look up the information you requested, it happened while trying to go into Settings.

Ask a Question