Taskbar, Desktop, Task Manager gone

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this problem from time to time where I will attempt to click something on my taskbar and it will become unresponsive and close, leaving me with a black screen and my cursor. All my programs are still running and I can alt+tab between them but explorer (I guess) never comes back.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete does nothing and Ctrl+Shift+Esc does not bring up the task manager. I have Voice Attack which is basically a macro program that you can program to do whatever and it is voice controlled and I set it to try and run explorer.exe when I say so but explorer doesn't work.

All I want is to be able to recover everything without having to hard reset my computer. I think this issue could somehow be related to the latest nvidia drivers as the problem appeared around then but I'm not sure. I need to be using the latest version and to my knowledge they haven't released a newer one yet.

Also this problem is so random that it might be days before it happens again so trying a clean boot or booting into safe mode wont help to diagnose the issue. I have done the whole system file checker and windows repair process and it did fix some things but not this.

Reaction score
Uninstalling voice attack might solve your problem.
Thanks for responding. Have you seen this problem being caused by Voice Attack before? It is one possible cause I haven't looked in to yet. Checking their forums now.

Ask a Question