Lost desktop, taskbars, start button etc

Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 about a week ago, without any noticeable issues. Today I have had several windows open, and I've downloaded some upgrades (to iTunes), and have moved through the windows without issue. I've just noticed though that everything in my bottom taskbar has disappeared - there is no start button, no apps/programmes listed, and at the bottom right, not even the notifications or time signature. When I minimise my browser (I'm using Firefox), there is nothing but a blue screen. It's not the usual "blue screen," but the blue that was there previously on the taskbar, matching the background to my desktop image. There doesn't seem to be anything else there. I'm scared to close the browser, because there's nothing else there. I can't even shut down or reboot, unless I manually force it on my laptop.

Any thoughts?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, if bumping your mouse against the bottom of the screen does not produce your taskbar then you're probably not hiding it, so......
Try using the
Ctrl + Alt + Delete
Keyboard combination and see if you get a screen from which you can select Task Manager.
IF so, launch Task Manager and from the file menu select "Run new task"
In the run dialog box type
explorer.exe
hit enter or click OK
See if your taskbar and other desktop items return

Reaction score
Well, if bumping your mouse against the bottom of the screen does not produce your taskbar then you're probably not hiding it, so......
Unless it was accidentally moved to the sides or top. That has happened to me enough times that I check there immediately when it disappears.

Reaction score
Thanks. After posting this, I tried Ctrl Alt Del (I haven't used it in ages, so didn't immediately think of it), could see that all my windows were open and operating, I just couldn't get to them from a blank desktop, and so was able to restart. Everything then reappeared.

Reaction score
Thanks. After posting this, I tried Ctrl Alt Del (I haven't used it in ages, so didn't immediately think of it), could see that all my windows were open and operating, I just couldn't get to them from a blank desktop, and so was able to restart. Everything then reappeared.
Wonderful. Click the SOLVED button if you don't mind. When everyone gets back from the Hew Years Eve party they will see it.

Ask a Question