Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

Reaction score
""How To Know When You’re Ready to Upgrade
Starting on July 29, we will start rolling out Windows 10 to our Windows Insiders. From there, we will start notifying reserved systems in waves, slowly scaling up after July 29th. Each day of the roll-out, we will listen, learn and update the experience for all Windows 10 users.""

I wonder if this means that come July 29th a lot of people who are expecting it will not be offered Windows 10 until later.

Reaction score
I'm not worried about Windows 10 until I know I can upgrade all my machines. And then I will re-evaluate whether I want Windows 10.

If I install the final release and have any issues within the first three days of installing all my applications, I will not be moving forward. I will happily move forward but not at the expense of loosing any of my application that shouldn't have issues (such as breaking the Start Menu) working.

Reaction score
That is where the "reservation" comes into the picture.
Those who have reserved will get the Win 10 RTM downloaded automatically. After that, they will be notified by MS of the fact, and they can decide when to install.
Those without the reservation will have to wait for it from Windows Update.

Reaction score
The real answer to Dispy, is that not everyone will get the notification on 29 July and the roll-out will be staged. This is a change from the original statement of release.

Whether you have a reservation or not is irrelevant because, as with the 8.1 upgrade, a few minutes after initial release there will be ISO torrents. Anyone who wants W10 need not be hanging on Windows Update.

Ask a Question