Blank screen after login

Reaction score
For the second time this year, Win10 installed a major update.
I again sat quietly through the entire update, until it updated and returned to my USER page.
I entered my PIN and arrived at a blank page.
Microsft has once more killed my laptop and with it my business.
I cannot access ANY of my programmes, including Office/ Email. Absolutely nothing.
What can be done?
I do not have time to waste.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Brian :).

What colour is the background on this blank screen - is it your desktop image, blue, black etc...?

If you press CTRL+ALT+DEL, do you get a menu appear with options like "task manager" on it?

Reaction score
Thank you Ian.
I get the USER login page.

When I go in via my PIN - it is a blank screen bat an intemnittently flashing Windows logo, search logo and 1 other on the left. On the right People logo, Date and time, and another logo.
When I do the CTL ALT DEL I get a task manager.

I cannot access any of my menu options, and neither the WIN button, or the search function operate.

Reaction score
I can get in via another USER but MENU and Search options do not work.
Certain items on the Task bar work. And I can see the desktop.

Reaction score
This has happened before, with the last major WIN10 update. This is seriously criminal.

My business revolves around this laptop.

From the first time - I cannot get Playstore and cannot load necessary APPS.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When logged in as another user, are you able to access the settings screen at all? If the start button doesn't work, you may be able to access it by pressing Windows Key + R then running "ms-settings:". If you can get the settings screen to appear, can you please try creating a new Administrative User (local account) and see if thing work fully when you're logged in with this test account.

If that doesn't work, can you please see if you can access this link in a browser (using the account that semi-works):

http://aka.ms/diag_StartMenu

This is a direct link to a Windows 10 Start Menu troubleshooter, which will perform a few diagnostic tests and attempt to repair some common problems.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Thank you.
WIN!) Start Menu Troubleshooter find no problem with my start menu. Which of course is not true.

I cannot access my emails and am missing out on current proposal requests and responses.

I have an HP. Is the only way to resolve this to reformat the PC and start again?

ANd then live in hope that MS doesn't sail in with an update and destroy it all over again?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you have any luck with creating a new admin account (from post #6) and see if that works ok?

Ask a Question