Blank screen after GeForce GTX 750 Ti installed on Hp

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been experiencing problems with Windows 10 ever since I've installed a new graphics card: the MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti. It worked well the very first time. But rebooting gives me a blank screen. I have been able to enter the system once (by clicking the spacebar and entering my password blindly but that does not seem to work anymore) to try and update the driver that came with it. I wasn't able to as I first needed to uninstall the previous one, which required a reboot. I was also able to check under Device Manager / Display Adapters to disable the shared Intel Monitor and enable the GeForce card. As confirming these new settings also required a reboot, I decided rebooting was probably the best option. I should have known better. I'm back to my blank screen and nothing seems to work. I have tried F2, F8, F10, F12, Windows + P + down arrow twice, spacebar, and Ctrl.

Would any of you know how to reboot and enter the system? And what to do next?

Thank you.
Skippy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know that this sounds dumb but are you certain you have the monitor connected to the new Add-In nVidia card?
Have you tried reverting back to the integrated intel GPU?
When your machine boots do you see anything at all on the screen, like the manufacturer's / BIOS splash screen, or normal POST information data before the bootstrap process hands off to the OS?
Can you provide some system information?
Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number (complete model number), etc.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, the monitor is connected to the new card. I have taken out the card and my PC worked well (except for the games I installed the new graphics card for in the first place, obviously). The blank screen only shows the cursor in the top left corner. Moving the mouse doesn't do anything. When rebooting I first see a Blue HP screen, indicated that I should press Esc to enter Startup Menu (which it doesn't), but after 30' or so it goes to the black screen + cursor.
The PC is a HP P6-2000 with Intel Core 2120. Is there any other information that you would need?
The graphics card MSI Nvidio GeForce GTX 750 Ti.
THanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So if you physically remove the nVidia card and reconnect to the integrated GPU then you can boot into your install?
If so then go into device manager, use the view menu item to show hidden devices and if the nVidia card shows up under display adapters, remove it and when prompted uninstall drivers also.
Get the latest driver for your card from here http://www.geforce.com/drivers be sure and confirm that you are getting the correct version for your system architecture (32 or 64 bit).

On some HPs I've had to hold the Escape key in advance of hitting the power button and continue to hold it until I get the advanced boot options menu for BIOS and Start Menu options.

Reaction score
I have been able to boot the computer holding down the Escape key until I got to the blank screen + cursor, then I pressed spacebar and typed my password (into the black screen).

What would be the best steps to undertake now? I'm still on the NVidia graphics card.

(To answer your other question: after having physically removed the card I have been able to work on the pc. I'm quite sure I would be able to remove the display adapter and uninstall drivers. But previously, I could not install a new driver without the new graphics card being inserted.)

Reaction score
I have checked my device manager, which says the Nvidia card works correctly. As I had tried to uninstall drivers (which required a reboot) I have also checked whether they had been removed. They still appear in the programmes list but as unavailable (Nvidia graphics, audio, 3D drivers)... HTH

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So the computer works fine with the nVidia card, after and only after you get past the sign-in screen?
You don't see a lock screen but you use the space bar to presumably dismiss it and then you don't see a signin screen? But once past those two hurdles the computer seems to be OK??

What picture are you using on the lock screen?? Native or custom?
Are you using a picture password?

Something is not making sense.

Reaction score
When I reboot, I first see a screen with the HP logo. After a while it goes to the blank screen with the cursor. I have now been able to work around that using the spacebar twice (pressing the Esc key as you suggested the second time), but most of the time (I've tried at least 20 reboots), even that doesn't work. The computer seems to be okay, I haven't tried to run any games yet, but word processor, explorer and Google work fine.

I haven't made any customs settings to Windows 10 - so original look screen. No picture password, just characters.

I thought this was weird too, I hope you have more ideas about what to do now...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The next time you are left at the Blank screen or Black screen or whatever we are calling it see if using the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination produces anything.....
Like a screen from which you can load task manager.
I wish I had a magic bullet for you but I'm not sure that I've heard of this exact issue before.
Unless you've managed to take it one step further by magically dismissing the lock screen and then entering your password into an invisible password text box.

I'd like to write it off as a driver problem, but it sure doesn't seem to be one if it works OK after getting past those first two hurdles.

It's almost like, it wants to use the integrated video for the lock screen and the sign-in screen and the add-in card is then used for the desktop.
That is purely a guess.
Have a look in your BIOS and see if ....
1. You can disable the onboard or integrated GPU
2. If you see an option to choose ..... first, or primary or default video source. Usually if present you can opt for integrated or add-in or PCI or PCIe or AGP or whatever the available options might be.

Reaction score
Thank you, Trouble.
I had tried Ctrl + Alt + Del, which didn't do anything unfortunately.
I'm not sure how to change the BIOS but will give it a try.

Reaction score
This is an update of my progress so far.
I have managed to go into safe mode (once), uninstall all NVidia driver remnants using Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstall Driver 361.43. Once I get past the hurdle of booting the system, everything works fine using the new graphics card.
Booting is still an issue. I seem to be able to manage to trick my pc each time by pressing Esc before I boot, holding it down until I get to the blank screen + cursor, then pressing the space bar and entering my password. So it does seem to be a problem of boot order. However, I haven't managed to get into the Bios. I have tried a number of key combinations including shift+switch off and F2 or F10 when rebooting, but to no avail.
So I was wondering whether anyone would have suggestions about how to get into the BIOS on an HP P6-2000be computer, so that I can try Trouble's suggestions of disabling the integrated GPU or changing boot order.
As an alternative option, I was wondering whether there are any counterindications for doing what I do now (= tricking the system to start up)?
Thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Most HPs you just depress and hold the Esc key prior to powering it on.
That generally will produce some options.

Reaction score
Pressing and holding the Esc key gives me some system information instead of the HP splash screen but nothing more. It does say press Esc for startup, but it doesn't do anything. The pc then continues to the blank screen...

Reaction score
Exactly what model power supply are you using? If it's the stock 300 watt PSU, that certainly could be the problem. Even though the minimum for the 750 ti is 300 watts, those cheap stock ones rarely put off the amps necessary. And rarely do they even come close to reaching 300 watts at operating temps. Not saying that's the issue, but certainly one to look at.

Ask a Question