I get a blank screen after the sign in page

Reaction score
During boot-up, I get a blank screen (shows cursor arrow which responds to touch pad movements), after the sign in page, which I can't I can't escape from except by forcing shut down and restart. The reboot can then take as long as five minutes to complete.
I have considered using the restore route, but am warned that there is a long list of apps etc which will need re-installing, and this looks arduous. Is there any other solution?

Armstrongpiper

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

It would be worthwhile uninstalling the Display Adapter as a troubleshooting step to see whether this resolves your issue. To do that do the following:
  • Boot your computer
  • At the login page Press and hold Shift key and with mouse select Power button - Restart
  • When the computer reboots do the following:
    • Select Troubleshoot | Advanced options | Startup settings | Restart
    • The computer will restart and reach an option menu:
      • Press 5 or F5 (Safe mode with networking)
  • When computer boots to Safe Mode do the following:
    • Type Device Manager in your search bar then select it from the list that appears
    • Next expand Display Adapter
    • Right click on your display adaptor and select Uninstall
    • Click OK and reboot computer

As the computer reboots your display adaptor will be redetected and installed fresh. This may resolve a corruption caused by some unknown event. Let us know if it resolves your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

It would be worthwhile uninstalling the Display Adapter as a troubleshooting step to see whether this resolves your issue. To do that do the following:
  • Boot your computer
  • At the login page Press and hold Shift key and with mouse select Power button - Restart
  • When the computer reboots do the following:
    • Select Troubleshoot | Advanced options | Startup settings | Restart
    • The computer will restart and reach an option menu:
      • Press 5 or F5 (Safe mode with networking)
  • When computer boots to Safe Mode do the following:
    • Type Device Manager in your search bar then select it from the list that appears
    • Next expand Display Adapter
    • Right click on your display adaptor and select Uninstall
    • Click OK and reboot computer

As the computer reboots your display adaptor will be redetected and installed fresh. This may resolve a corruption caused by some unknown event. Let us know if it resolves your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thankyou for your reply. I can get to Safe Mode, but can't open device manager, as there's a message saying 'Can't open this app using built in Administrator Account. Sign in with a different account'. I was not using a password to sign in, so have re-instated the password route, but still get the message. I don't know what to do next! Would it be OK to do the Device manager thing not in Safe Mode?

Armstrongpiper

Reaction score
After some research I have found how to access the Device Manager in Safe Mode, and am ready to uninstall the Display Adapter. I am,, however, nervous about doing this, to me, drastic step. If the computer doesn't re-install the Graphics Adapter, what will this do to my computer screen display, and will I be able to access Internet Explorer to download the Adapter myself from Intel

Armstrongpiper

Regedit32

Reaction score
Uninstalling the display adaptor will not remove files from the computer.

When you reboot Windows ought to redetect the Display Adaptor and install driver for it; or prompt you to select one.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the reassurance! The Blank Screen doesn't happen every time I boot up, just maybe 2 or 3 in 10. I will give the Dis[play adapter deletion a go and report back in a day or two.
Thanks again, Armstrongpiper

Reaction score
I did the uninstall of the Display adaptor as described above, yesterday. Today, on boot-up the same old fault recurred, so I am afraid it didn't work.
Any other help, please?
Armstrongpiper

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK,

When you get to that blank screen with cursor:
  • Press CTRL key (this will give focus to the password/pin box; albeit you cannot see it)
  • Now although you cannot see anything type your password/ pin that you use to login then press Enter key
  • Wait and see whether your Desktop miraculously appears (30 seconds to 1 minute)

Let us know whether you get to a viewable Desktop

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for another try, but I'm afraid this didn't work. The Windows 10 I am using was upgraded from Windows 8 several months ago and initially all was well. The present problems have gradually emerged over the last few weeks. I am wondering whether it would be possible to roll back to Windows 8, and then upgrade to 10 again. Is this possible, and do you think it would work?
Armstrongpiper

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Armstrongpiper,

Was just testing whether a known bug in an earlier release of Windows 10 had reappeared.

Basically, when a computer has both onboard video chip and also a video card installed, the bug caused Windows to think there were two monitors attached and sent the information to the non existent monitor while leaving the actual one in a state of sleep.

In your case that is clearly not an issue as the steps did not work.

Once Windows 10 upgrade is installed for 1 month the option to roll back is lost so far as I am aware.

You may need to visit Microsoft's site and download a file you can use on another machine to burn a disk that you can use to perform a clean install of Windows 10, or a Repair.

Hopefully others in forum can contribute any other options for you too.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I had a similar problem yesterday after Win 10 updates. It appears that MS modified my admin account access.
I performed a System Restore to an earlier time and everything was fine. I immediately created a new disk image. and a new manual restore point, just to be safe. That's what System Restore is designed to do, it can save you many headaches when things go unexpectedly wrong.

Reaction score
Thankyou for all your efforts to help. I am not confident to delve into making recovery discs, etc, and as I said earlier, using the windows recovery route involves having to re-install lots of apps,, software and what have you. I will, for the time being, put up with the inconvenience of having to retry start ups, but can consider contacting Windows Technical Support (I have used their services before and have been pleased and impressed) or approaching a local Computer expert/service chap.
Thanks again,
Armstrongpiper

Reaction score
That would be a wise move. I've added a little help on Win 10 issues from Microsoft Help

"
Going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

• If it’s been less than a month since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can go back to your previous version of Windows by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting either Go back to Windows 7 or Go back to Windows 8.1. This won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove any apps that you installed after the upgrade to Windows 10. Learn more.
  • If it’s been more than a month, this option won’t be available in Settings and you’ll need to use a different recovery option."

Reaction score
I seem to have overcome my problem! I have CClaner installed, but rarely use. However, I decided to give it a spin and run it to check and clean the Registry as well as the general clean, and I haven't had a recurrence of the blank screen in the last week. Whether this is a permanent fix I won't know, but so far so good.
CCleaner is a free download, or one can pay for more comprehensive services.
Armstrongpiper

Regedit32

Reaction score
Good news Armstrongpiper,

cCleaner may have removed some corrupted registry entries for you that may have been part of the issue.

While it is working OK, it would be a good time to make a System Restore Point:
  • In search box type: Create a restore point | then press Enter
  • Under the System Protection tab click the Create button next to "Create a system restore point right now for the drives that have system protection turned on."
  • Enter a name and date that will help you recall what Restore Point it is (e.g. Fixed Blank Screen 29/3/2016) then click OK

Regedit32

Ask a Question