Win 10 HP envy wdf_violation now black screen help?

A

ah rook

Hello, Recently my daughter( 17) seems to have tried to upgrade her Win 7 to Win 10. She came and said that she got a blue screen with a smiley that would not go away with a WDF-Violation on the screen. She powered it on and off a few times and now she has nothing but a blank black screen. I cant seem to even F8 anything to come on the screen. She has none of the restore disks etc... Is there any known downloadable repair disk/fix for this that I can perhaps burn a disk and load it into her CD drive will boot and repair?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Is there any known downloadable repair disk/fix for this that I can perhaps burn a disk and load it into her CD drive will boot and repair?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options, where you should have an options to
Startup Settings -> Should allow a Safe Mode boot to see if it is a driver problem as suggested by the error
OR
"Go back to ........" -> should allow you to roll back to the previous version of Windows

I would first make every effort to backup any critical data on the disk before proceeding.

A

ah rook

OK, thank you for the help. I burned it to a disk and inserted it into the disk drive...nothing comes up on the screen at all, just a black screen. I can hear the disk drive powering up with the disk installed but not a flicker on the screen of anything. With the bootable disk would I not need a command checked or entered to get the machine to boot from the disk drive? I have nothing but a black screen :(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically you use an Fkey, usually F12 to evoke a boot menu but it may very well be a different key depending on your computer and motherboard... Like HP computers you can generally just hold the Escape key and it will provide you with a screen to select options from.
Failing that you should be able to use the System Setup Utility (BIOS) to set your boot device priority to USB as #1 and then change it back later to your hard disk

A

ah rook

Ok, I have the day off and have went thru all the steps as mentioned. Still no screen at all. The disk drive spins up, the fan kicks on, the computer beeps with the memory cards pulled out, the fkeys enact nothing from the screen. The little blue light in the thumb drive up under the bottom backside for the wireless keyboard mouse flashed two times out of 50 trying to start it over and over again.It seems that windows 10 install/upgrade has turned her envy touchsmart 23 into a brick !

I have no nothing at all on the screen but a blank black screen....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm wondering if perhaps using a wired USB keyboard might allow you to enter the BIOS during POST at least. You might need to disconnect / remove the dongle that supports the wireless input devices temporarily to test.
IF you are not even seeing an HP splash screen during POST that does not bode well and there may be something more substantial wrong with the computer hardware.
Does the computer have a connector for an external monitor (HDMI, Display Port or VGA)?

A

ah rook

I'm wondering if perhaps using a wired USB keyboard might allow you to enter the BIOS during POST at least. You might need to disconnect / remove the dongle that supports the wireless input devices temporarily to test.
IF you are not even seeing an HP splash screen during POST that does not bode well and there may be something more substantial wrong with the computer hardware.
Does the computer have a connector for an external monitor (HDMI, Display Port or VGA)?

N

A

ah rook

No it has only a jack for a Ethernet/rj45 and 6 usb ports...I have tried the wired usb keyboard but it seems the usb ports are disabled by this glitch.
I am baffled how there could be an actual hardware fail during a windows 10 upgrade.
I performed the bios jumper steps to no avail so far.

I do see a few other jumpers on the motherboard but are unaware what they are for exactly. Maybe I can find some kind of schematic for it online

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried popping out the motherboard's CMOS battery (while the system is unplugged) and holding the power button depressed for a count of 30 or so.
Then replacing the battery and AC power adapter and attempting to boot the computer that way?
Sometimes that'll work when nothing else will. It resets the BIOS date and time and prompts you to enter the BIOS to set it correctly.

A

ah rook

Have you tried popping out the motherboard's CMOS battery (while the system is unplugged) and holding the power button depressed for a count of 30 or so.
Then replacing the battery and AC power adapter and attempting to boot the computer that way?
Sometimes that'll work when nothing else will. It resets the BIOS date and time and prompts you to enter the BIOS to set it correctly.

A

ah rook

Yes I have...20 times atleast. On two of these 20 attempts the dongle for the sub wireless keyboard/mouse little blue light lit up twice for just a second and the went out

I am wondering if the bios battery might somehow be dead. I have not replaced that or do I know what the signs would be if it were

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If the CMOS battery was dead, then one of the things you might notice, if you lost AC power, would be that the BIOS date and time would fall back to whatever the default is.
Since most modern PSUs seem to pass through a small charge to maintain some residual energy, unless you lost AC you might not notice anything, but .....
I don't think a dead CMOS battery is likely the cause of your problem. However, what ever might have made the battery "dead" if that is the case, may have made some other components "dead" as well.

What happens if you disconnect the hard disk and attempt to boot the machine?
Still nothing on the monitor? Nothing about "no boot device found"?

A

ah rook

Nothing... The screen remains black. I have no idea how to test the screen. So I cannot tell if its the screen or the motherboard locked up/bad.
My guess is that somehow during the windows 10 upgrade it did something that glitched the motherboard but it is an expensive guess if I change it out to find out its the screen somehow. I can see a motherboard glitch happening from an windows update more so than a screen failure.

Ask a Question