SOLVED Windows 10 Update Failed and now I have lost everything

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have had Windows 10 on my Thinkpad for a while now and last night it did an update which failed unfortunately (I don't know why). Today morning, I login, and it went to a whole new setup on my laptop. Then got a some error message about windows/system32 desktop file missing message and it went to a blank screen without any desktop, no control panel nothing. I switched off a couple of times and got a screen to windows rollback to previous version. Now I dont have any backup of operating system of any version as I never dreamt of any such issue ever arising. I can't move forward with any option after this except turn off your PC. I need help desperately to recover my very precious laptop from becoming a expensive paper weight. I also would like to STOP any automatic updates from now on. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Thanks Ben.
My situation is, I now switch on my laptop, I get keyboard language and get the below screen. The only thing that actually works is Turn off your PC option. (Screen attached). Help!
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1526893967306.jpg
    1526893967306.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 684
Reaction score
Your attachment shows an option you don't normally see, "use another operating system". Does that option take you back to the problematic install?

I have seen several threads on what appears to be the same result of a non-booting system. Sorry I have not yet seen a good solution other than re-installing. But if you want to try some process you will need access one of the Troubleshooting options or have bootable media in order to have some access to your system.

Reaction score
Thank you Saltgrass. I really appreciate every one of you to try help me.

Unfortunately, I guess my laptop was totally messed up and I had to buy and re-install Windows 10. Fortunately, the tech person had a recovery CD and he could get to my hard drive to back up my files before installing the Operating system. I then 'carefully' updated crossing all my fingers. This time, it was kinder to me and I then loaded back all my files. After a few anxious days and few bucks short, I am back where I was before. I believe you can go to Administrative tools -> Services -> Windows Update and disable it. (But then you wont be able to get to MS Store etc. Just FYI, if any of you want to stop auto updates.) You can disable updates at least till you finish your project or important work, meetings, presentations etc so you dont lose them, back up ALL your work, create a recovery CD and then Enable it to get to latest updates. Hope this helps. Thanks all. I will now resolve this issue.

Ask a Question