SOLVED Windows 10 update failed

Reaction score
Receive error msg 0x80d06802 preventing auto update KB4013429 to fail. How do I fix?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Use Internet Explorer and go here http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4013429
Download the appropriate version 64 bit (1054.5MB) or 32 bit (579.1MB) for your system architecture.
You can just put it on your desktop and double click it to run it and answer any prompts in the affirmative.
Try using that to perform an install using a local resource rather than using Windows Update.
Avoid the "Delta" updates they'll only work if all previous updates are installed and current. They're smaller and only include new bits for this month and are not "cumulative".
AND of course avoid the ones labeled "server".
See if that produces any better results.

Regedit32

Reaction score
First, have you attempted running the Windows Update Troubleshooting app built into your operating system?
  • Press Windows key and S key
  • In Search box type Troubleshooting and press Enter key
  • In the right pane beneath System and security click on Fix problems with windows update
If doing that does not have desired results then you can manually reset your Windows Update Service by entering the following numerous commands, in the precise order given below.
  • Note: You need to be logged in with Administrator privileges to do the following not a Local account!
  • Note also: some of the commands below may generate error messages. Ignore these and carry on to next command if that occurs. This will occur as to cover all bases I've thrown in a few commands that will only be necessary for those running Windows 10 on a Domain.
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control alert appears click Yes
  • Now in the Command Prompt: Administrative console enter the following commands in order given.

Code:
    net stop wuauserv

Press Enter key to execute

Code:
    net stop bits

Code:
    net stop appidsvc

Code:
    net stop cryptsvc

Code:
    net stop ccmexec

Code:
    del /f /q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

Code:
    del /f /s /q %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*

Code:
    del /f /s /q %SystemRoot%\system32\catroot2\*.*

Code:
    del /f /q %SystemRoot%\WindowsUpdate.log

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng1.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wucltui.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wuweb.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s qmgrprxy.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wucltux.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s muweb.dll

Code:
    regsvr32.exe /s wuwebv.dll

Code:
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f

Code:
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f

Code:
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f

Code:
    netsh winsock reset

Code:
    proxycfg.exe -d

Code:
    netsh winhttp reset proxy

Code:
    net start ccmexec

Code:
    net start cryptsvc

Code:
    net start appidsvc

Code:
    net start bits

Code:
    net start wuauserv

Code:
    bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers

Code:
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

You can now close the command console and reboot your computer.

Note: After logging in, you may need to sign out then sign back in as it takes a moment for Windows to adjust to this hard reset and you may otherwise notice some tardiness in right clicking items etcetera.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Use Internet Explorer and go here http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4013429
Download the appropriate version 64 bit (1054.5MB) or 32 bit (579.1MB) for your system architecture.
You can just put it on your desktop and double click it to run it and answer any prompts in the affirmative.
Try using that to perform an install using a local resource rather than using Windows Update.
Avoid the "Delta" updates they'll only work if all previous updates are installed and current. They're smaller and only include new bits for this month and are not "cumulative".
AND of course avoid the ones labeled "server".
See if that produces any better results.
Thank you Trouble/Noob Whisperer. It worked.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear it.
Glad it worked out for you.
IDK why, but sometimes that method will work when the typical Windows Update method fails.
I can only guess that the source folder containing the update that Windows Update uses is faulty or corrupt, perhaps the result of a bad download.

Using a local source will often work around that problem.

Reaction score
Tried every one of your suggestions, including Regedit 32 full suggestion. No joy. Appears to download but refuses to install.Wish I had stayed with Windows 7 now.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have tried all the above options and yet still the update which i have posted below still fails. My computer tried to auto update multiple times a day and it fails every single time. It is the most frustrating thing, because i must be upwards of a 100 fails even after trying just above every blog post suggestion I can find. Any suggestions?

"Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015438)" - "FAILED"

New error code appearing is "Error code: (0x80073712)"

When I attempt to run the windows repair as suggested above the problems found that just show as detected is -
"Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings"

Reaction score
KB4015438 is supposed to be a replacement for KB4013429 according to forums on Google.Another Microsoft failure of cumulative updates for W10. Have a read on Google, it appears corrupted and causes even more Computer problems.

KB4015438 3rd attempt has installed itself as a replacement for KB4013429. Large file.
I can only put this down to using the following program found on Google.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc
Reset Windows Update Agent.

It additionally offers other solutions beside. Allow me to suggest it is worth looking at,though I am sure some may already know of it. Needs to be run as an Administrator. It was an IT friend of mine at Swift PC that called in at my home who came across it.

Here's trusting that any further updates run smoothly and that it will not take me another week to track down the solution,whether via your excellent Forum,Google,Full ant-virus checks, SF/Scannow, Disk Checking,etc,etc.

May I thank this Forum for it's help and suggestions, truly first class. All of you,please keep well. We need your expertise.:p

Osiris. This sorted my problem out completely, please give it a try.
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc
Reset Windows Update Agent.

Reaction score
I was reading the same thing on Google Mothie, i guess it worked for most people mine might be a bigger issue.

For some reason now it tries to download both updates but they both fail haha. Can't win them all i suppose.

I will definitely try this right now and see if that helps my problem, thanks in advance. Got my fingers crossed that it works.

Reaction score
Osiris. When I used the software I have suggested, Microsoft substituted the KB4013429 that would not go on, for
KB4015438). The first attempt on this also failed. It appears that the update process takes Windows a little amount of time to adjust to changes. Keep letting Windows update do it's thing as eventually, for me, it worked (came good). Remember, to operate the suggested software, when downloaded, to right click on it and operate as "ADMINISTRATOR" otherwise it will not work;(needs to be elevated).

You will see a blue small screen and several headings in white text. Choose the number of the heading for updating the update process and enter at the bottom of that screen,where a curser will be blinking.Press enter!

Sit back and let it do it's thing. When it has finished working you will need to restart your computer. I found that it had not installed the update and felt cheesed off, however, Windows downloaded it again and I pressed install and bugger me, it went on. Come back and let us know the outcome,friend.:rolleyes:

Ask a Question