Lost emails when updated computer and reloaded windows 10

Reaction score
I had to update my computer (dell) and then it indicated that I needed to reload Windows 10 (of which I have). I did this once before and there were no problems as all my files and emails were there after the reload. Now I have all the files but all my emails are gone (I have my contacts) I have outlook.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Nels,

Welcome to the Forum.

First, check your Windows is Activated and that you are signed-in with your Microsoft account.
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings
  • Select System then on left side click About
  • Scroll down and click Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows
You'll see in window that opens whether Windows is activated or not
  • Next on left side click Home then select Accounts
  • On left side click Your info
You'll be able to see here whether you are signed-in with a Local or Microsoft Account
  • Also , on left side click Sync settings
In window that opens make sure Sync settings is toggled on

Reaction score
Microsoft Outlook has wiped out over 5000 of my emails before.
Was never able to recover them. No Backup/restore ever worked either.
If email and customer base is important to you, get yourself Mozilla Thunderbird and run it from external USB 3 HDD.

GH1

Reaction score
I run WIndows Live Mail and recently had to do two installs of Windows due to getting a greebie. As well as leaving my mail on the server I export all mail to a CSV file along with my contacts so it is easy to reimport them after a clean WIndoze install
Have tried Thunderbird, Opera mail and Windows mail and hate them all and much prefer the Live Mail.

It can be a pain to install these days but Toms Hardware have a full installable file for it

Reaction score
Hi GH1,
I do like your reply - it definitely has merit. I have not tried live mail, and not about to..

My business depends on email, and my customer base goes back 17 years.
It does have now over 17 thousand messages (11GB) T-bird Portable has never let me down and keeps working flawlessly, unlike other email clients.
Can not imagine having this large database anywhere else but safe at home.
Undoubtedly Microsoft made progress, but I will never place any important stuff on the same disk as Windows.
I can even just throw it out if it is destroyed by constant updates, done that in the past, HDD are cheap.
You may even consider Linux as a good backup system one day - No updates till 2022 on latest one Sylvia
Take care, wishing you the best
TonyH.

Ask a Question