windows 10 email has lost almost all of my sent emails

Reaction score
I have been running windows 10 live email for about a year now and find it a very bothersome program. I am not real tech savvy so that doesn't help. Now all of a sudden, almost all my sent emails from both of my email addresses has disappeared, except two random ones. I rely on those sent emails to keep track of lots of stuff. Where have they gone?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi dagwood2016,

Welcome to the forum.

Windows Live Mail by default will save Storage Folders (Inbox, Drafts, Outbox, Sent Files, Delete Files) in the LocalAppData for the current logged in User.

If you open File Explorer in the top address bar you can enter the following to locate this Storage area:
  • Code:
    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

Once entered in File Explorer's address bar press Enter key to open to this location.

You mentioned you had two accounts set up, and I assume each you have named. Inside the current location you have just opened you should see a folder with that account name. If you open these folders you will find your sent folder and inside that is where you find all the emails you have sent, assuming you have not permanently deleted them of course.

Any email in the sent folder here can be viewed by double-clicking and then choosing to open with Windows Live Mail.

Technically these folders are synced with that Windows Live Mail GUI you normally use to view mail, and ought to automatically update as you change things in your GUI. Ocassionally, though, this GUI can misbehave and this you will still find emails here, even though they appear to be missing in the GUI.

If you can report back on whether you did find what you wanted we can see whether we can sort the GUI out to display them properly. If they are not present we could see whether a System Restore point may help unearth them.

If for some reason the Storage folders do not exist as explained above, then another way to locate them would be to open Windows Live Mail then:
  • Click File
  • Select Options > Mail
  • Click the Advanced tab
  • Click the Maintenance button
  • Finally, click the Store Folder button

This will open a small window that displays where your emails are stored on your computer

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
dagwood. Are you referring to Windows Live Mail, (part of windows essentials) or the new, built in, Windows Mail App?

Reaction score
Hi dagwood2016,

Welcome to the forum.

Windows Live Mail by default will save Storage Folders (Inbox, Drafts, Outbox, Sent Files, Delete Files) in the LocalAppData for the current logged in User.

If you open File Explorer in the top address bar you can enter the following to locate this Storage area:
  • Code:

Once entered in File Explorer's address bar press Enter key to open to this location.

You mentioned you had two accounts set up, and I assume each you have named. Inside the current location you have just opened you should see a folder with that account name. If you open these folders you will find your sent folder and inside that is where you find all the emails you have sent, assuming you have not permanently deleted them of course.

Any email in the sent folder here can be viewed by double-clicking and then choosing to open with Windows Live Mail.

Technically these folders are synced with that Windows Live Mail GUI you normally use to view mail, and ought to automatically update as you change things in your GUI. Ocassionally, though, this GUI can misbehave and this you will still find emails here, even though they appear to be missing in the GUI.

If you can report back on whether you did find what you wanted we can see whether we can sort the GUI out to display them properly. If they are not present we could see whether a System Restore point may help unearth them.

If for some reason the Storage folders do not exist as explained above, then another way to locate them would be to open Windows Live Mail then:
  • Click File
  • Select Options > Mail
  • Click the Advanced tab

This will open a small window that displays where your emails are stored on your computer

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I think I'm referring the built in windows app not the windows live mail program. When I
Hi dagwood2016,

Welcome to the forum.

• Code:

• Click File
  • Select Options > Mail
  • Click the Advanced tab

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
When I put that in the address bar of windows explorer it tells me "windows can't find.... check your spelling...

I think what I'm actually using is the windows mail app

Reaction score
OK. First, try switching on or off, as may apply in your case, conversations:

Click the cog at the bottom of the mail window and select "reading". Scroll down to conversations.
Whilst you are in that menu, ensure you have the other items correct
I assume you have tried selecting "mor2", at the bottom of the main window?

Reaction score
OK. First, try switching on or off, as may apply in your case, conversations:

Click the cog at the bottom of the mail window and select "reading". Scroll down to conversations.
Whilst you are in that menu, ensure you have the other items correct
I assume you have tried selecting "mor2", at the bottom of the main window?

Reaction score
Yes I have looked all through the "more" options at the bottom of the main viewing page. So what do I do with the "conversations"?

Reaction score
If it is on, switch off. If it is off, switch on. Sorry if that may sound a silly solution, but many things seem silly in Windows 10. But it has worked for some.

Reaction score
I switched it off, but still no missing sent emails. My newest sent ones are there, but what should I do, if anything, to ensure these don't disappear? What windows make program can I switch to to get more reliability?

Reaction score
I think I'm referring the built in windows app not the windows live mail program. When I

Hi

I tried windows live mail search. It took me to Bing. ( which in the past has been a pain at hijacking my computer ) The first option was windows live sync which seems to hold most of my old e-mails. tks guys. So now the next question is how to get them away from bing and onto my own computer?

Ask a Question