Lost all emails!

Reaction score
HELP!
I loaded up Windows 10 but lots of things went haywire with my PC, so I run the Restore and everything fine. However when I opened my emails it downloaded about 1200 old emails so I had copies of them. I went through emails & deleted the newly downloaded. All good so far. Started up PC next day and all my emails have disappeared, all folders, sub-folders over 2000 emails gone. I'm on Windows 7. Does anybody know how I can retrieve them? Pretty basic Pooter knowledge so be kind!
Thanks guys

Reaction score
Hi davehc
Thanks for your interest. My mail is windows live mail.
Its weird because I ran restore through Windows 10 to take me back to Windows 7 & everything was fine. Then next day turn on PC and all gone!. I will try the windows 7 forum. Good idea but if you have any ideas would love to hear em!
Cheers

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought by default Windows Live Mail kept a local copy of you mail, contacts, calendar and such in
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
Perhaps take a look at your current Live Mail set up and see where it is looking for your "Store" folder
Options -> Mail -> Advanced Tab -> Maintenance -> Store Folder

Not sure if a Windows.OLD folder might have survived the upgrade / downgrade, but you might also look in there.

Reaction score
Hi
thanks so much for your interest & reply! However I am very PC limited in knowledge! Where do I find Live Mail set up?
Also where do I type in %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
I tried in the start- search- but nothing.
Thanks again

Reaction score
did this work? I have also lost all my old emails after being forced to go back to windows 7 due to too many compatibility problems. had to do two workarounds on my mobile broadband every time I wanted to use it and that didn't always get it going. very painful as well as consistent problems with printer. windows 10 wiped one of the printers completely .. I got the other one going once then next time I went to use it, it said it was offline and I couldn't do anything to get it back online. now I've lost all the precious emailed I 've saved .. years worth.

Reaction score
Well first of all do you have IMAP or POP3 email. The difference is POP3 downloads the emails to your PC through your email client. Now there is a setting on the server that you can delete the email once downloaded or you can do it manually via a web browser. IMAP account don't download the emails tp you PC and you view them on your Email providers server. If are deleted there you are likely out of luck. But they could have moved to a deleted folder and can be moved back to inbox if the are in the deleted folder.

Reaction score
I thought by default Windows Live Mail kept a local copy of you mail, contacts, calendar and such in
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
Perhaps take a look at your current Live Mail set up and see where it is looking for your "Store" folder

Not sure if a Windows.OLD folder might have survived the upgrade / downgrade, but you might also look in there.

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with WLM with the 1709 Upgrade. I did a run on " %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail" and it appears that all my WLM files are there. The problem is I don't know how to retrieve the program?? I switched over to the current Windows Live program for mail and have a somewhat usable mail program. I would still like to go back to WLM. Is it possible?
Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated.!

Ask a Question