SOLVED Need sugesstions of 100% free PDF software

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking for recommendations for 100% free PDF software,and NO TRIAL PERIODS pls

Not some humongous piece of software that you need a ZIP file to download, and no cloud based ones either.

You know the kind mom used to use back in the 486x world.

Need to be able to read and edit 200pages need it at work as well as at home, some work docs are HUGE
would like to copy text as well as of course create pdf's.

Converting would be nice.

Pls drop suggestions below.

Thx

Reaction score
Just so you know, I tried the FF with and with out add ons and it works horrible. See screenshots.

Also, Foxit reader is NOT FREE.

Attachments

• FF double opening window.PNG
    FF double opening window.PNG
    31.9 KB · Views: 149
  • ff PDF issue.PNG
    ff PDF issue.PNG
    52.1 KB · Views: 115
  • NOT FREE.PNG
    NOT FREE.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 125
Reaction score
Yes it is.

Then you need to do your own research for what you want.
Thats why I posted this thread, to find free PDF software. I thought someone on the forum may know of something.
As far as the FF not working It is probably the same issue as everyone else has with Win 10 because Microsoft wants people to use the Edge browser and wrote lines of code into the OS to make this difficult.

Reaction score
Adobe reader is closest to " the kind mom used to use back in the 486x world.". But, I g o along with Libre, as Wolfie points to. It offers a little more than merely reading and editing PDFs, in fact - a full office suite. Later editions of Word also offer editing of pdfs, and, thrown in, converting to Docs. But, as you know - not free.

You are probably aware that Edge, the built in browser, is able to read PDFs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't speak for current versions of Foxit but I stopped using it long ago because it came bundled with Ask toolbar and other unwanted luggage.

PDF-XChange Viewer has replaced Adobe on all my Windows PCs.

It's better suited for large PDFs such as the one you mentioned without having to rely on an entire Office suite or web browser.

Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to mention Sumatra PDF reader.

It's small, free and about as close as you're going to get as the kind your mom used to use in the 486 days.

Reaction score
The biggest issue with the desired software is that it's hard to find a free PDF creation/edit program and the free readers seldom offer the ability to edit/create. There are cheaper alternatives to Adobe Acrobat and some may be offered with other office suites such as PDF Fusion that came with some versions of WordPerfect or stand-alone.
This may be of interest:

Reaction score
Finally found the perfect PDF software, and its available as FF add-on: Online PDF converter.
I can open any PDF with FF and do anything else with the PDF converter.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    213 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking for recommendations for 100% free PDF software,and NO TRIAL PERIODS pls

Not some humongous piece of software that you need a ZIP file to download, and no cloud based ones either.

You know the kind mom used to use back in the 486x world.

Need to be able to read and edit 200pages need it at work as well as at home, some work docs are HUGE
would like to copy text as well as of course create pdf's.

Converting would be nice.

Pls drop suggestions below.

Thx
I have been using PDFill for years. Works great and is very powerful. You can find It at: https://www.pdfill.com/download.html

Ask a Question