What Is File Shredder And Why We Need This?

Reaction score
What is file shredder and does Windows 10 have a file shredder or we need to download some third party software?

Reaction score
I presume it means a program that literally shreds and breaks up any file rather than just a simple delete.

T_J

Reaction score
I've used McAfee products since 2012, which I believe all had a Shredder program included. Currently have McAfee Total Protection; which includes Shredder. Shredder permanently deletes files so they can't be recovered. Choices are Basic (shreds twice), Safe (shreds 5 times), or Complete (shreds 10 times). Can select 1, 42, or whatever number of files you want shredded. Or choose a folder or whatever. I shred files occasionally.

Amazon currently sells McAfee Total Protection for 3 devices 2020 for less than $22, uses Amazon download services; once installed might want to turn OFF Auto-Renew ($79.99). I usually buy a Key Card from Amazon and download McAfee software from McAfee website. /// Current McAfee website mentions 'shredding sensitive files' (under the multi-faceted privacy protection section).

I looked at some of the Amazon McAfee reviews; some computer owners are incapable of maintaining their computers (software, hardware); do so at your own risk. I've used McAfee software since 2012 (on my 2012 Dell desktop) with only 1 problem. Had to disable McAfee features for a Windows 10 major update to proceed once (maybe 1709 major update??). I did not uninstall McAfee, only disabled McAfee features in the software. [download a NEW copy of MCPR McAfee consumer product removal tool from McAfee if needed]

Shredder.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those of us who had McAfee installed whether we liked it or not back in the '90s early '00s feel like rubbing your picture with garlic and driving a stake through it!

T_J

Reaction score
I used Norton security products from 2000 to 2012 on my 2000 Dell triple-boot desktop 98se-2000-XP. I had a lot of problems with Norton products back then; luckily I had PowerQuest Drive Image 5.0 to restore images. 2000 Dell & 2012 Dell connected to KVM switch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, I would never touch a McAfee or a Norton product even if you held a branding iron to me, lol. And I've used both in the past. I'd also add Avast and AVG to that list now also.

File Shredder really isn't necessary unless you share your computer with someone who knows how to "undelete" files. If you think you really need it, there's a few free options out there. You might want to google to see what the best ones are. I don't really use one, but my Revo Uninstaller Pro has one.

Reaction score

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!. :)

Ask a Question