SOLVED BiDirectional vs Unidirectional

Reaction score
Been doing too much reading. More questions than answers.

In a previous post (No Splash Screen, No F2, No F12) I presented an "observation" regarding my dual monitor hookup. I marked that thread resolved but without a real answer to what I was seeing.

Now I am wondering - could this be an issue of uni-directional vs bi-directional interfaces? OR could this be a speed issue.

Reaction score
Hi dustywoodworker,

you would first need to post a link to the problem here, people don't really know what you are trying to discuss here????. Failing that, a more detailed explanation of what you are trying to achieve would be helpful. :):):)

Reaction score
I don't understand the problem well enough to do that and besides - it has been discussed (without resolution) in the referenced thread.

Let's just drop it there!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OR could this be a speed issue.
I can only add, anecdotally that, I find often with "fast startup" enabled that many times I don't necessarily see normal prompts for entering the system BIOS or for launching the Boot Menu options.

I normally resolve this by depressing and holding the appropriate key before pressing the power button.

You could probably test by using the "Choose what the power buttons do" option from the left column of the control panel power options applet and turning off "Fast Startup"
BUT
I prefer to use my resolution rather than sacrifice a speedy start of my computer.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
I believe I understand your situation & had the same issue myself.
There is a difference between Legacy BIOS & UEFI BIOS, don't know which one you are using.
Depending upon which one, cold startup will determine the primary monitor output for entry to Setup.
Prior to Windows booting, the add-in graphics card overrides the onboard graphics output.
Using both can cause odd behavior prior to boot-up. The graphics card usually disables on onboard. There is usually a BIOS setting to say which is the preferred monitor.

In my case, I have enabled UEFI & the DVI output on the graphics card is the primary, the HDMI on the card is the secondary. The motherboard also has a DVI & HDMI which I don't use, even though they appear to be enabled.
The secondary monitor is a 40 in TV which may be on or off at any time

Sometimes, when doing major Windows 10 updates (new OS version), the primary display would go blank. If I turn on the secondary monitor, the progress is shown there. Windows switched from the DVI to the HDMI. The more recent updates don't seem to to this any more.

Reaction score
It sounds to me as though you have answered my question (solved the mystery). In my case, I have a NIvidia graphics card installed but was attempting to utilize the Display Port and an HDMI to drive the monitors. I am also utilizing UEFI BIOS which I really know nothing about.

At any rate, now that I am connected only to the graphics card, my problem is solved.

You have probably also answered an unasked question. I have several legacy HDD that were removed from machines know to be functional. None of them are recognized when I try to utilize them on this new computer via an adapter.

Thanks very much for the follow on comments.

Reaction score
Well tell us more about these old drives. What it their interface on the drive itself? What is this adapter? and what is its interface to the PC? Details are everything...in my experience it is remarkably difficult to persuade disc drives not to work!

IIRC you mentioned that they worked with the adapter in a friends XP machine. Tell all about that.

Reaction score
I...
You have probably also answered an unasked question. I have several legacy HDD that were removed from machines know to be functional. None of them are recognized when I try to utilize them on this new computer via an adapter.

Thanks very much for the follow on comments.
BIOS won't recognize them if they are not attached to the motherboard SATA connectors. If they are installed in a USB adapter, Windows will recognize them & assign a drive letter automatically.

Windows will, after you assign a drive letter to each.
Glad I could be of assistance.
Here is a basic explanation of UEFI.
https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/htg-explains-how-uefi-will-replace-the-bios/