boot cycle on m.2 ssd drive

Reaction score
hi guys
i installed a crucial mx500 m.2 ssd drive in my pc
im running 2 ssd drives,my question is(really green at the ssd)if i disable the m.2 drive in the bios when i boot to the other win 10 system on the other ssd will my m.2 ssd drive incur boot cycles on its life with it disabled ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just my best guess, but....
I would think.... "boot cycles"?
NO.
The BIOS provides information to the operating system as to what hardware devices are present and available for use when the OS enumerates the system hardware.
IF it is "disabled" the OS will not see it or use it, so.... No I/O demands would be made on it by the Operating System, but....
I don't believe that informing the system firmware that a particular piece of hardware is "disabled" would prevent it from being energized with the rest of the boards hardware components at Power ON.
So I would expect the M.2 to remain idle but warm and any impact to any overall power concerns or long term impact to the device's life cycle to be minimal.

Again just one person's best guess.

Ask a Question