Can not make *New Folder*, anywhere, with right click function, after latest Win 10 update

Reaction score
The only way I can now create a *New Folder*, anywhere, after the latest WIN 10 update, is to use the *New Folder* command under the ribbon on each folder dialogue ...

Right click with mouse does not work.
If I do so, the brain thinks for a while and then tells me *Explorer has stopped working*.
Then all goes blank and the screen returns to what is was before.

Any ideas how to correct ?

TIA

Regedit32

Reaction score
The New Folder option in the context menu, has a default status stored in the Windows Registry here:
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New

If you open Command Prompt (Admin):
  • Press Windows Key + S
  • In the search field type command
  • In the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When prompted by User Account Control click Yes
You can now type/copy & paste the following to query this Registry key:

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New"

Press Enter key to execute

context.png

If you are not seeing this or get an error message telling you it does not exist, then in the same Administrator Command Prompt type/copy & paste the following:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}" /f

Press Enter key to execute

Close the command console and any other open applications.

Restart computer

Reaction score
I have no intention of supporting Microsoft!!
But, to be fair, this is not what could be called a "Bug" in Windows 10. It is due to one or two third party so-called "Cleaners", which remove the key. There are several suggestions as to the cause, on the web, even one offering ITunes installation as a culprit. If you are running such, it may remove it again.
fwiw. Ccleaner is NOT guilty.

Reaction score
At Regedit32 ...

Did as you suggested !

Right click anywhere to create new folder still does not work !

But ...
What is happening now, is that when I am in Google Chrome, and I right click on a link, it then opens up the link in another tab, except I get between 4 and 10 new tabs, all of the same link !

This strange phenomenon only happens with Google Chrome !
It does not happen when I use Firefox or IE ...

How do I *undo* the things you had me do before ?

Just delete what I *found* by reversing thru your suggestions ?

Whoaaa-117.jpg

TIA

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
There would be no point deleting it as that was the Default settings which you end up with when you install Windows 10 or its cumulative updates.

If you feel deleting it may resolve a secondary issue then via an elevated command prompt:

Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New" /f

Or you could instead just overwrite the default Data value by:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New" /ve /t REG_SZ /f