Can't Enter Password

Reaction score
oh my gosh, i just fix my own problem, ahahahhaha,,after how many days exploring this sh*t!
i tried to press the ALT button then type any letter key , and YES!!!!! it work, just click it again if it goes back

Reaction score
I also had same problem, and I kept playing with power button a few times and it started to work.

Reaction score
I had this same problem and came here to find a solution. What the OP was talking about was a frustrating issue where the cursor works(so keypad works) but the box just won't allow you to enter password, cant use any other icon so cant restart, nothing! I'd tried a USB mouse with no effect. I have an asus laptop and this worked for me;
Power off using power button
Hold down Enter and Shift together and keep holding while pressing;
Start using power button.

Opens in a slightly different way and when the Windows screen came up the password box allowed me to enter password as normal. Thankfully. Total fluke! Well....I have my Dad to be grateful to really- he just kept playing with it and has no idea why that worked!
Thanks a million! I was rather frustrated when I can't open my laptop after so many restarting, worst case is that I haven't back up for a while. Somehow I got a feeling that my caps lock was on (but the caps lock's light wasnt on while restarting so many times) So when I hold down Enter and Shift together, suddenly the caps lock light is on so I hurried tap on it and this time I can type in my password and at last my Windows 10 is opened!

Reaction score
My fix for not being able to type my password at the windows sign on screen was to press power button for 10 seconds, unplug power cord, take out battery, then put it back. Now I can type my password.

Reaction score
You're welcome. I stopped asking years ago how people even find this stuff out but man I'm glad they do. This was my exact problem and this 2 min long video solved it, and I'm guessing anyone else who finds themselves here will find it solves their issue too. What a complicated path though.......super easy to follow along but hats off to the first person who figured this one out.

Reaction score
i have the same thing happening with my Lenovo g50 lap top the lap top will start and go to my m-soft pic i have an icon bottom right. it is my internet connection icon and it has a red x it has no driver , tried a diver update. did update but dropped the net driver. i click it and i get the three icons mouse works. i can open the icon to get a on screen key board i can type my pass word but pushing enter i get a blue highlight box around my password and that is, it still will not let me in am loosing it my windows 8 disk keep trying to get me to put them in. oh and i would like to say hi to everyone. I am there i only need to enter

Reaction score
I got a new laptop with Windows 10 about a month ago. Used it several times over the last month, even yesterday. But this morning when I tried to use it, it will not let me enter my password. I can move the mouse, but that's all. I can't get to any other screens.

Hello . I had this problem too.
Use an external mouse and rightclick on box which you enter the password.This worked for me and I hope work for u too

Reaction score
Im having the same problem with my dell laptop. I recently updated it to windows 10 from windows 8 after reformatting it. But all sort of problems came up. Which is the bluescreen of death and now i cant type my password. Some keys like TAB works.
Now i can only type my password if after I turn on my laptop, I press any key until it reach the thing where you type the password. It works for me. I just discovered it accidentally. But its really frustrating. Hope someone can help

Reaction score
I started having the same problem yesterday when I was asked to change my password to a new one! I had had it for awhile and it did need to be updated. Then I went to log back in and it first told me wrong password, then I got a message that a I need a usb flash driver to change the password. I am the administrator on the PC! For me to use I have had to use everything under my son's account. How do I fix this. I have only had this PC about 3 yrs.

Reaction score
it will not let me enter my password. I can move the mouse, but that's all. I can't get to any other screens.

Asus Laptop
Hi, I have the same problem, I can't get past the login screen. When the password box pops up, I can't get any key to work (I even tried on-screen keyboards; they were working, but just not in the password box.) The password box wasn't accepting any key I pressed! But it still recognizes command keys like Caps Lock.
I also even tried restarting, shutting down, and troubleshooting. But in troubleshooting, I also get stuck on the part which makes me input my password because the password box still won't let me type down anything!
Please heeelpp

Reaction score
It s very easy but we dont know. I had this problem with laptop Asus. I Cant log on password. But one day i had find the way. I record this clip here. Good luck.

Reaction score
I had this same problem and came here to find a solution. What the OP was talking about was a frustrating issue where the cursor works(so keypad works) but the box just won't allow you to enter password, cant use any other icon so cant restart, nothing! I'd tried a USB mouse with no effect. I have an asus laptop and this worked for me;
Power off using power button
Hold down Enter and Shift together and keep holding while pressing;
Start using power button.

Opens in a slightly different way and when the Windows screen came up the password box allowed me to enter password as normal. Thankfully. Total fluke! Well....I have my Dad to be grateful to really- he just kept playing with it and has no idea why that worked!
Wow! Thanks, this method finally worked for me! Mahalo!!

Ask a Question