Can't Enter Password

Reaction score
I got a new laptop with Windows 10 about a month ago. Used it several times over the last month, even yesterday. But this morning when I tried to use it, it will not let me enter my password. I can move the mouse, but that's all. I can't get to any other screens.

Reaction score
Please be specific.

it will not let me enter my password.

Do you mean there isn't a box where you can enter your password ?

If yes, try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys together.
Will that bring out the box to enter password ?

Reaction score
There is a box to enter the password, but when I click in the box, I cannot type anything. I've tried Ctrl + Alt + Delete and nothing happens. I've tried pressing the ESC key and nothing happens.

Reaction score
OK. The following is to show you how to do a system restore to "roll" back to a date when you were able to sign in.

Go back to that sign in screen , at bottom right, there are 3 icons.
The one on the extreme right is the Power icon > left click at it will give you a Restart option.
Press Shift key and hold > click Restart > if asked, click Restart anyway > click Troubleshoot > click Advanced Options > click System Restore > wait for the system to load > if asked, confirm your name > enter your password > click Continue> click Next >at bottom left, check the box " Show more restore points " ......
Now, from the list, select a date you know you were able to sign in > click that date > click Next > follow the prompts to start system restore.
When done, the system is supposed to return to your desktop and tells you if system restore is successful or not.

Let us know if you have the sign in issue fixed.

Reaction score
There are three icons on the bottom right of the screen. However, nothing happens when I click on any of them.

Reaction score
Care to use another mouse ?

Or use a different USB port for the mouse.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am using the mouse built into the laptop/tablet. I can move the arrow around on the screen but that is it. The laptop is fairly new and I had done very little with the laptop and had not used it with an external mouse or external keyboard.

Reaction score
I believe you are using the touchpad to move the cursor around. it is not called a mouse.

I am afraid I have to bow out.
I am of no use to you.
I am sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds like your keyboard is not working?

Hold the power button down until the computer switches off, and wait about ten seconds, then try a restart.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like Windows Update may have installed a less than optimal driver for your touchpad / trackpad.
You may have to (as david has mentioned) try a USB wired mouse temporarily to see if that will get you over the hump.

Reaction score
I had this same problem and came here to find a solution. What the OP was talking about was a frustrating issue where the cursor works(so keypad works) but the box just won't allow you to enter password, cant use any other icon so cant restart, nothing! I'd tried a USB mouse with no effect. I have an asus laptop and this worked for me;
Power off using power button
Hold down Enter and Shift together and keep holding while pressing;
Start using power button.

Opens in a slightly different way and when the Windows screen came up the password box allowed me to enter password as normal. Thankfully. Total fluke! Well....I have my Dad to be grateful to really- he just kept playing with it and has no idea why that worked!

Reaction score
This was the trick. Thank you. It appears win10 or asus have a new reboot key sequence. Hold shift and enter together with the power button caused a real reboot. :)

Reaction score
I had this same problem and came here to find a solution. What the OP was talking about was a frustrating issue where the cursor works(so keypad works) but the box just won't allow you to enter password, cant use any other icon so cant restart, nothing! I'd tried a USB mouse with no effect. I have an asus laptop and this worked for me;

Opens in a slightly different way and when the Windows screen came up the password box allowed me to enter password as normal. Thankfully. Total fluke! Well....I have my Dad to be grateful to really- he just kept playing with it and has no idea why that worked!
I have tried this and it doesn't work for me. I am still locked out of my computer. It won't let me type in my password. I have tried everything above. Can anyone help me?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum Stephanie.
You should probably start your own thread and in that, share some specifics regarding your computer...
Manufactuer's Name, Model Name Model Number, etc.
It won't let me type in my password.
What happens when you try?
IS it just not accepting keystrokes from your input device?
Have you tried the On Screen Keyboard?
Have you tried an alternate keyboard, like a wired USB keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi da
Please be specific.

Do you mean there isn't a box where you can enter your password ?

If yes, try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys together.
Will that bring out the box to enter password ?

hi david...as for my problem..the box to enter the password doesnt seem to be appear...can some please help me

Reaction score
Syahir. As Trouble said in an earlier post. Better to start a new thread. This one is very old and several Windows 10 builds away.

But, Syahir,
Hold the Shift key and restart. This will give you the troubleshooting screen.
Click Troubleshoot and then "Advanced Options." Then "Startup Options" - "Restart"

You will then , I hope, be able to log in.
Right click the start orb and select "Run"
Type i n" Msconfig"
In MSconfig, uncheck the "Safe" mode option and, when you reboot into normal mode, you should find all is well.

Reaction score

I have the same problem and followed your power/enter/shift deal and I noticed that it powered up different but good. My problem that I have with this is that I can put in my first symbol ok, but then it automatically runs across and shakes like it's adding more dots. The password is only 4 digits/symbols. How do I fix this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have some stuck keys on your keyboard.
You could try using the Ease OF Access icon on the log-in page to bring up the On Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) and see if that works.
Alternatively....... try another keyboard, preferably USB wired (no USB dongle, wireless / Bluetooth.

Reaction score
I have an HP Split notebook. And the box to put the password doesn't even come up at all. This has been going on for weeks. Fortunately, I found this thread and after holding shift enter keys and the power button and restarting several times... it will come up. I also read to update or rollback touchpad drivers... which I did buy only because it gave me the option to. Whereas on everything else that option was unavailable. Can someone please help me? Because I'm still having the same issue.

Reaction score
hello everyone, i have the same problem right now, my Lenovo ideapad 100s wont allow me to enter any letters in the password box, i already tried this step,,,,bottom right, there are 3 icons.
The one on the extreme right is the Power icon > left click at it will give you a Restart option.
Press Shift key and hold > click Restart > if asked, click Restart anyway > click Troubleshoot > click Advanced Options > click System Restore > wait for the system to load >

but they ask for the recovery keys, which i know and i have , the problem now is that i cant input it in the box again for the recovery key box they provided.huhuhuhu

Ask a Question