After installation can't enter password to get past the "Hi there, welcome back" screen

Reaction score
I (think) successfully updated to Win10. But, when I went to start up I can't get past the hi there screen. The password box will not populate when I key in my password. I do not see an arrow or any indication that my mouse is working. Tried rebooting with keyboard disconnected then reconnected and no go.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a while for Windows to enumerate attached hardware so give it 10 minutes or so.
I don't know what type of keyboard and mouse you are using (USB, PS2 or wireless), but if wireless you might want to try something with an actual cable and see if that gets you over the hump.

Reaction score
Hi,

I had the same "incorrect password" problem. I found it was because Win 10 assumed I was using a U.S. (that's US of A, not U/S for unserviceable) keyboard. Towards the bottom left of that window you will see ENG US, click on it and change it to whatever language and keyboard you are using. Your password should then work O.K.

Having said that, I've not come across an OS as slow as Win 10 since I was using MSDOS! luckily I had cloned my Win 7 Pro SSD so I junked Win 10 in favour of my original Win 7 Pro. The slowness was not a result of poor hardware, I am running an AMD 3.2G CPU, with 8GB of RAM, and an SSD. Win 7 flies with this setup.

Tony N

Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a while for Windows to enumerate attached hardware so give it 10 minutes or so.
I don't know what type of keyboard and mouse you are using (USB, PS2 or wireless), but if wireless you might want to try something with an actual cable and see if that gets you over the hump.

I did try a cabled keyboard and mouse and it does work. (using them now) So, now i have to find out why my Logitech wireless keyboard and mnouse won't work. I tried downloading the drivers from logitech but no luck.

thoughts?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would plug in the Logitech dongle and leave it plugged in for a while and maybe manually run Windows Update and see if it's got anything that might work.
Doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in while still using a wired keyboard and mouse.
It's up to the hardware device manufacturer to come up with the drivers, sometimes if they are working with Microsoft you can get it through Windows update before it's even on their download page.

Reaction score
So here is the answer. THe problem resided in the driver that was supposed to operate the bluetooth device (dongle as you call it). Going to Device manager and then clicking on Bluetooth it showed the bluetooth device driver (Broadcom) with a yellow triangle/exclamation point symbol. There was a code 10 error. To fix, click on the driver and uninstall. Disconnect the bluetooth device. Restart computer. Plug in the bluetooth device and the system will search for the appropriate driver. I had to go through a complete reinstall of the keyboard and mouse but that was very easy and took but minutes. All is well now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Gerry.
Appreciate you following up, as it will likely prove helpful to other members and guests.

Reaction score
my password box is not working or the shutdown button plz answer me :(

Attachments

• 1459970357540.jpg
    1459970357540.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 809
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Ramskie.

Go to the sign-in screen and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then try again.

For some weird reason, this sometimes works. In the bottom right corner there should be "ENG" for your keyboard. Click it to make sure it is using the right English. If it is, try changing it anyway--i.e. from US to UK or vice-versa

Make sure that you are not set to Caps Lock.

Try using the password for other Microsoft accounts. Specifically, try the password to your e-mail.

Try entering through Safe Mode. There is a Power Button on the sign-in screen that will help you do that.

Try using a different keyboard.

If you had a previous password, try entering that.

The problem might be the @ Despite what your keyboard says, sometime it is on 2 and sometimes it is on Q. Try using the other one. You probably have to press AltGr at the same time. Try pressing shift at the same time.

Does it say "I'm not..." in the lower left corner? If so, click it to see what it tells you. It might be stuck on an update and think that Windows 10 is not yet installed.

Sometimes this works. Restart your computer and keep pressing F8 until Advanced Options appears. Refresh or re-install Win 10. You might have to press F9 instead of F8.

Does it say "Your Name" in the bottom corner? Try typing in your account name.

Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord. Unplug all devices, including your mouse. Plug it in, turn it on, and see if it either installs upgrades or finishes re-installing Windows 10.

Try typing in the name of your computer. I don't know how this works, but on the sign-in screen, see if you have the actual name of your computer; if it is wrong, try to change it.

Ask a Question