SOLVED Can't enter letters of Windows 10 password

Reaction score
Hi
I have an out-of-state any Asus X541U laptop with Windows 10. Following a recent Windows upgrade, it seemed to be slower and more frequent apps not responding. After recent crash, it takes several minutes to get to Windows 10 sign-in. When I type my password, only the numbers are entered regardless if I use the laptop keyboard or the onscreen keyboard. I cannot enter the letters. let generates an incorrect password message and after several attempts, it asks me to enter "1A2B3C". I have no problem entering it but when it once again gives me access to enter my password, it won't recognise or respond to typing of letters. Makes no difference if I try upper or lower case.

Tried clicking on Forgot My Password. Rebooted the computer, and now arriving at a screen with a wallpaper that is not mine, does not have a password sign-in box, and has the message: "Something went wrong. Please try again. Start over."

Repeated attempts keep bringing me to same place and message. The four icons for keyboard setting, wifi connection, ease of access, and power are displayed as usual and are operational.

Help!!!

Reaction score
One thing I've seen that was a problem is having USB Wireless mouse and keyboard plugged into USB 3 ports [blue center]. The BIOS gives built-in support for the USB 2 ports [black center] but the USB 3 gets supported when the OS gets started, loads drivers. Some newer motherboards have combination ports that mostly work, have backwards compatibility.

Reaction score
Problem with signing in seems to be solved.

Apparently it's important to pay attention when signing in. It wasn't accepting letters because it was asking for my PIN, not my password.

Thank you Ben!

Reaction score
Thanks for responding back and letting us know what the fix was. A lot of people don't do that.

Ask a Question