Entered email incorrectly when setting up new computer and can't change it.

Reaction score
Help! While setting up my new laptop I apparently incorrectly entered my email address. Now my Administrator name is correct but the email is not. I keep getting a message that I need to add information to my Microsoft account. I don't remember putting in a password, only a pin. I can't reset the password because the email is incorrect, is there any solution?

Reaction score
Bob if it accepted the the email address and pin wouldn't the mail acount be active? Have you tried to gain access to the email and modify your profile.

Reaction score
Hi Norton,
Apparently the email i entered by mistake is an active account, just not my account and i don't have access to it. The num lock was off on my laptop when I set up my laptop, so I was missing two numbers in my address and I didn't catch it until too late. Is there any way to change it or start over or something. I am not much of a computer whiz but can follow directions pretty well.

Reaction score
The problem is I don't know the password. As far as I remember when setting up I never entered a password, just a pin which I use to login. When I try to switch to a local account I get a screen that says "OK but first we need to verify your password" I have tried several password combinations that I would have used had I entered it and none of them work. Am I connected to a Microsoft account that belongs to someone else? How many times can I enter an incorrect password before I get locked out completely? From what I have seen thus far, without a password I cannot change my password, cannot edit my account, cannot switch to a local account and can't see my account. I also cannot reset my password because I don't have access to the email that I entered in when I set up and that is where they send the magical code that allows me to reset.

Ask a Question