SOLVED Win 10 upgrade stuck and can't enter bios

Reaction score
Hello

I've trying to update an Advent netbook to windows 10 from 7.
It's been a hassle all the way with hangs on 'checking for updates'
However, I got through that but now it's stuck on 'Get going fast' screen.
I had selected 'use express settings' and now it's stuck on that screen. The mouse still works but nothing happens.
I left it on all night. It's still on the 'get going fast' screen.

If I reboot (even remove battery) I get the initial advent boot screen but no bios info. Del, f12, f11, f2 etc do nothing.
The blue 'win 10' logo appears briefly then back to the 'get going fast' screen.

I also tried the usb flash drive that had the old os on it but it won't boot from it despite that being the initial boot setting in the bios.

Has win 10 bricked my netbook?

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Typical. Just after I started this thread I stumbled across the thread below which seems to have solved this.

Seems, based on the thread mentioned, it's something to do with hibernate or something. I guess the install process thinks it's being 'soft' restarted rather than 'hard' restarted meaning it bypasses the bios.
I removed the netbook battery and powered up only with the mains adapter. Why this makes a difference I have no idea. This restored the bios access but also completed the windows 10 setup.
What a load of hassle & nonsense!! Wish I'd found this yesterday afternoon so I didn't waste so much of my time.

I hope this helps someone else though. Solved by me (via the advice on the thread below : ) Thanks anyway.

http://superuser.com/questions/3958...tallation-i-cant-access-bios-settings-anymore

I had the same problem except that I couldn't boot in windows 8, because after I wanted to refresh windows 8 instead of re-installing it.the refreshing stuck at "Setting up a few more things 98%". imagine this horrifying situation that you can't boot to the windows nor able to install another OS. so when Ari Pernik said "BIOS is treating Hibernation" I decided to wipe hibernate. I did this.

1. I removed laptop battery
  2. I terned the laptop just by it's charger
  3. then when the windows installer loaded (in my case when the windows stucks at"Setting up a few more things 98%") I unplugged the laptop charger.

so after this method I could go to the Bios setting again

Ask a Question