Windows 10 Upgrade stuck at 82%

Reaction score
My home pc (version 1607) has tried so many times to install the latest update but it gets to a certain point, usually 82% and the dots just freeze and nothing further happens. I have turned the computer off so many times (around 15) and eventually it restores to the previous version of Windows, however within an hour or two it tries to update again.
Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Reaction score
Easy to say, but, patience is the key. With the exception of your keyboard and mouse, remove all USB peripheral devices. Go to "Settings" > Update and Security > Troubleshoot and select "Windows Update. Run the native troubleshooter. Hopefully, the troubleshooter will identify and repair any problems that are preventing updates.

Reaction score
Try temporarily disconnecting from the internet and quickly reconnect. It worked twice for me at different percentages of completion.

Reaction score
Easy to say, but, patience is the key. With the exception of your keyboard and mouse, remove all USB peripheral devices. Go to "Settings" > Update and Security > Troubleshoot and select "Windows Update. Run the native troubleshooter. Hopefully, the troubleshooter will identify and repair any problems that are preventing updates.
Thanks Norton - I tried that and it said it couldn't identify any problems.

Reaction score
Don't create extra work for yourself. Personally, I would download the latest Windows 10 ISO and create (burn) to CD or USB thumb drive using Image Burn.
Back up all your important data files and then perform a clean installof the current Windows 10 version 1709 OS build 16299. When complete copy all your backed up files to a clean machine.
When downloading, make sure the ISO matches your PC architecture.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
I found the problem on my system and suspect many other "store bought" computers have this same problem. It is a "hardware" problem caused by the WI FI plug-in card made by Anatel. This card has been in my system for four years and was a factory installed Component part of the Gateway DX4860. I connect to the Internet via Cat6 cable so never used the WIFi feature. Many upgrades to Windows have been done on the system without any problem. However, Version 16299 Upgrade does NOT want this WiFi card installed. Pull the WiFI card and the update goes smoothly. Prior to this change the update failed at least 10 times as I searched the Internet for a solution and changed components in my system such as Memory and Hard Drives. If you are getting the "hang at 82%" error, check your internal WiFi card. If it is an Anatel Brand RT3090PCIE, replace it with a different brand or remove it and hook up to the internet with a Cat5 or Cat6 cable. I think many Store purchased systems may have this card installed.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming there is any defect with the Anatel card. I have not tried any other brand to see if the same Version 16299 hang occurs.

Hope this solution works for you also.

Reaction score
I found the problem on my system and suspect many other "store bought" computers have this same problem. It is a "hardware" problem caused by the WI FI plug-in card made by Anatel. This card has been in my system for four years and was a factory installed Component part of the Gateway DX4860. I connect to the Internet via Cat6 cable so never used the WIFi feature. Many upgrades to Windows have been done on the system without any problem. However, Version 16299 Upgrade does NOT want this WiFi card installed. Pull the WiFI card and the update goes smoothly. Prior to this change the update failed at least 10 times as I searched the Internet for a solution and changed components in my system such as Memory and Hard Drives. If you are getting the "hang at 82%" error, check your internal WiFi card. If it is an Anatel Brand RT3090PCIE, replace it with a different brand or remove it and hook up to the internet with a Cat5 or Cat6 cable. I think many Store purchased systems may have this card installed.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming there is any defect with the Anatel card. I have not tried any other brand to see if the same Version 16299 hang occurs.

I don't get this Win 10 thing, if all your hardware drivers are up to date, then Win 10 has no right to basically make them obsolete and useless because of it's updates. This is exactly why Windows users used to ( the good old days ) say Apple was Sheeple, totally locked in to what they decide. It's your computer not Microsoft's, if their OS can't update due to incompatibility they can and should state the problem. Not some meaningless error code xxxxx. I don't have this problem as I tried but never bought the free nonsense.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I found the problem on my system and suspect many other "store bought" computers have this same problem. It is a "hardware" problem caused by the WI FI plug-in card made by Anatel.
Had the same issue recently with the exact same add-on wireless card. Not a Gateway though.
Removed the card completely updated the computer with all pending updates and then reinstalled the card.
Everything was fine after that.
We'll see how things behave when the next update drops.

Reaction score

Thank you for posting this! After my computer tried and failed multiple times to update, I worked through all the "tips" that Windows suggested and nothing made any difference. I was reluctant to start taking apart my computer because it is not something that I ever do, but I also own a Gateway DX 4860 so I gave it a shot. It wasn't that hard! And the next time the update tried it worked! This is not something I would have ever dreamed of doing so thank you so much for figuring this out and posting it to help others. You saved my sanity.

Reaction score
I prefer using the hard wired DSL connections for all my downloads. I believe it's a more secure method for downloading large update packages. I think there's more of a chance of dropped bits using WiFi?

Reaction score
I have the internet plugged in and never use my computer on wifi anyway so taking out the card won't make any difference to me. The update still wasn't fully downloading (multiple tries) until I took out the card.

Reaction score
I tried to install the update so many times that I forgot. The final straw was when I tried a method widely suggested that it worked and my computer going pear shape I gave up. I reinstalled the system from the back up ( still my email contacts had dissapeared) and decided not to care anymore. When the message appear that the update couldn't be installed due to error0x80070005 I click "Cancel" and forget about it. My biggest regret is having bought a new PC instead of an Apple .

Reaction score
It's normal, windows normally don't upgrade at the same pace. Never turn off your pc while updating, have patience it will be solved and thus get completed automatically ones windows is done.

With Regards,
Protar

Reaction score

I'm so glad I finally found your post , I had given up after so long of trying to install the update . I did exactly what you posted and it worked perfectly, Thank you , my sanity is much better now.

Reaction score

it worked for me too.

Ask a Question