Reset PC Stuck After Upgrade from Windows 7 - Now Windows 10 Won't Activate

Reaction score
Last night I finally decided to backup all of my files on my Windows 7 desktop machine and wanted to do a clean install of Windows 10 (I had been wanting to reformat for a while, this seemed like a good time to do it). I noticed after starting the free activation of Windows 10 (through Windows Update) that it would only update to Windows 10, so I let it proceed.

Once 10 finished and booted up, everything was great. At this point, I went into settings and chose to Reset this PC, and made sure to select only to remove files - not fully clean the drive.

After being stuck at only 2% for 4 hours, I decided to give up on the reset completing. I turned off my desktop, and then downloaded the Windows program that creates the installation on a USB drive from my laptop. Once completed I inserted the USB drive into my desktop and installed Windows 10 as a clean install without any issues.

After all of this, I cannot activate my Windows 10. Is my only option to use my old Windows 7 installation/key to do another clean install, then go through the Windows 10 update again?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or helpful information!

Reaction score
No need to reinstall! Go to setting/activate and enter your Win7 key. I assume you log on with your MS account as recommended?

Reaction score
No need to reinstall! Go to setting/activate and enter your Win7 key. I assume you log on with your MS account as recommended?

I forgot to mention that I tried this already, and it told me that the activation key was invalid for Windows 10 Home. My version of Windows 7 was Professional I believe. I was never prompted for which version of Windows 10 I was installing on the USB drive, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Either way I think I'm in for another reformat.

Reaction score
Your USB drive install includes all versions doesn't it? I've installed from USB like that but can't remember now!!

Ask a Question