Im Stuck Factory Resetting

Reaction score
In an effort to solve a previous problem my computer was having, I kept trying to reset my computer to different reset points but everytime i would get error 8000ffff, and nothing would change. I finally decided to Restore it to factory setting, however now im stuck in it. Its been 10 hours and im still at 8%. It went from 1 to 8 precent in seconds, but then its just got really stuck. Im very frustrated and dont know what to do. Id really appreciate any kind of idea.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I remember from your previous posts that you were having considerable problems that looked suspiciously like major file corruption.
And after you tried multiple methods to resolve it without any positive results you are now having issues with a "factory" reset.
I'm beginning to suspect that you may have a physical problem with the computer involving, most likely, your hard disk drive.
Can you remove it and attach it to another Windows machine and use the native Check Disk utility to inspect it for errors?

Reaction score
I remember from your previous posts that you were having considerable problems that looked suspiciously like major file corruption.
And after you tried multiple methods to resolve it without any positive results you are now having issues with a "factory" reset.
I'm beginning to suspect that you may have a physical problem with the computer involving, most likely, your hard disk drive.
Can you remove it and attach it to another Windows machine and use the native Check Disk utility to inspect it for errors?
Ill try. Im sure i can With a whole lot of online tutorials.
But its been working fine for months and i cant see how the hard disk drive would have been physically damaged

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
But its been working fine for months and i cant see how the hard disk drive would have been physically damaged
Understood..... and I'm not saying definitively that, that is your problem.
It's just something to look into given your issues recently.
Hard Drives fail..... every day, and given that the Upgrade Process is relatively intense, involving a lot of reads and writes, if it weak already, then it could have pushed it over the edge.
Bear in mind..... I'm just guessing, albeit..... a somewhat educated guess.

Reaction score
image.jpg

Are these even the hard drives? Just want to make sure im not completely off track

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep, those are both hard drive alright.
I'd personally avoid laying them down on carpeting that has any nylon content (looks like a nice berber), as the circuit boards on the back are a bit sensitive to ESD (Electro Static Discharge)
Then you will need to determine which one actually contains your Windows install and hopefully it is also the one that contains your boot configuration files (System Reserved Partition) although it wouldn't hurt to do a Check Disk on both, you'll want to minimalize your computer as much as possible, keeping it down to a single drive if possible, while attempting to diagnose your current issue.
When you have it attached to another Widows machine, open an Administrative Command Prompt and type
chkdsk X: /R (where X: is the drive letter assigned to the drive when attached.) if the drive has multiple partition Check Disk them all.
The 640 gig drive will take a long time, the 1 terabyte drive will take even longer, so .......
be patient.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the help. I tried to start up the other computer with my hard drive but it wont start up. I hear noise and the fans start running but the screen is just black

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can't start up one computer with another computer's hard drive. Well you can but you shouldn't.
The idea was to attach the problem hard drive to a computer that was functioning already, as an additional hard drive, not as a replacement.
There are SATA docking stations, USB Cabling to do that, or you can simply attach it to a second SATA port with the appropriate connecting cables (SATA & Power).
Is that picture actually a picture of two computers? The one looks so small in comparison I assumed it was a hot swap caddy or something of that sort.

Reaction score
You can't start up one computer with another computer's hard drive. Well you can but you shouldn't.
The idea was to attach the problem hard drive to a computer that was functioning already, as an additional hard drive, not as a replacement.
There are SATA docking stations, USB Cabling to do that, or you can simply attach it to a second SATA port with the appropriate connecting cables (SATA & Power).
Is that picture actually a picture of two computers? The one looks so small in comparison I assumed it was a hot swap caddy or something of that sort.
Yea the smaller one is an alienware alpha, the one not working. I put the bigger one back together with its normal hard drive and it still wont start up. I didn't touch anything except the hard drives so i dont know whats wrong. I hope i didnt break that too now.
I think im just going to redeem the warranty on my alienware and send it in.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think im just going to redeem the warranty on my alienware and send it in.
That may be the best solution.
AS far as the "bigger one", when you put the hard disk back where it belonged did you connect both the power and SATA cable and make sure that they were both seated firmly?
Also double check the other end of the SATA cable where it connects to the Motherboard and confirm that it is seated firmly as well.

Ask a Question