Windows 10 upgrade stuck at 99%

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 and for quite awhile now it would not do automatic updates. I tried doing them manually but always got an error message. Yesterday I went to the Microsoft website and started the Windows 10 upgrade. It took 6 hours to get to the installation stage, then its sat at 99% installed for the past 18 hours. Im getting on in age and dont understand this computer jargon but if anyone could help me, I would be extremely grateful.

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 and for quite awhile now it would not do automatic updates. I tried doing them manually but always got an error message. Yesterday I went to the Microsoft website and started the Windows 10 upgrade. It took 6 hours to get to the installation stage, then its sat at 99% installed for the past 18 hours. Im getting on in age and dont understand this computer jargon but if anyone could help me, I would be extremely grateful.

Hi Christine If you can use windows "7" call up on the Microsoft site the latest 'Up-Date' for 7 and try to install that one. you might have to "Give it permission to run" depending on what anti virus software is installed on your P/c.
As if the pc is not running the flavour of latest "7" 99% is the most you will get. Hopefully this will help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
There are any number of things that might be preventing the upgrade installation from completing.

Often and the number one reason seems to be third party security suites. It might be a little late in the game to recommend uninstalling any such software in advance of the upgrade, so....
The other reasons seem to be related to peripheral hardware devices attached to the computer.

My recommendation is to disconnect all unneeded peripheral devices, especially any wireless dongles supporting keyboards, mice or USB network adapters. I would also include even such things as USB printers or Scanners.
Leaving only the monitor, a wired USB keyboard and a wired USB mouse. Substituting wired input devices for wireless if necessary.
Sometimes even disconnecting your Ethernet cable temporarily in addition to the suggestions above will allow the upgrade to complete.

For future reference and casual perusal, when you have the time this article here....
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...p-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683
Contains a lot of useful information regarding the troubleshooting of problems that one might encounter during and or after the process.
It's comprehensive but as the author admits, not entirely exhaustive.

Reaction score
I spent the last couple of days with the exact same problem. The solution that worked for me is stated above but I also included one more step before running the upgrade:

1) Remove ALL usb-devices except keyboard/mouse.
2) Before running upgrade, open services.msc, go down to windows update and stop the service.
3) Run the upgrade, it works! Even tried reformatting everything once more and it worked again on the first try.

If your ethernet doesn't work after the upgrade, update the driver manually. Mine seemed to function but gave unidentified network and no internet access. Found a forum link for new driver download and that fixed that problem :)

Reaction score
For all the other "technically challenged" upgraders... I would have loved a few more tips on the first upgrade page as I began this task. I took the plunge unaware of the things I should have done first. Was stuck at 99% and once I started looking online for help, the info I found made me hesitant to to touch anything.

Take heart! 54 hours later our laptop restarted itself. Took about 2 hours from there to complete the install. Another "take heart"! Everything really was where I left it - even the applications.

Reaction score
My system will normally take about 9 minutes to download the update image (300 Mbps) and then another 45 minutes to complete the upgrade.

If yours took 54 to 56 hours to do an upgrade I might look at the size and available capacity of the Hard Drive. Also, since it took so long to apparently download the upgrade image you might check your internet connection and start watching it or even doing speed checks on it.

I bring this up because there may be another big upgrade coming after July 29th, but not sure exactly when.

Reaction score
My system will normally take about 9 minutes to download the update image (300 Mbps) and then another 45 minutes to complete the upgrade.

If yours took 54 to 56 hours to do an upgrade I might look at the size and available capacity of the Hard Drive. Also, since it took so long to apparently download the upgrade image you might check your internet connection and start watching it or even doing speed checks on it.

I bring this up because there may be another big upgrade coming after July 29th, but not sure exactly when.

Thanks for the warning! We have over 300gb free on the hard drive, but internet might be an issue. Next time I will be taking it to my friend who is a technical guru!!!!!!

Reaction score
I you are using a wireless connection it does take forever, just for the updates alone. I would strongly recommend using a DSL connection nit WiFi for the the big update at the end of the month. It could have a greater impact than the millennium bug Y2K?

Reaction score
My installation is also currently stuck at 99%. I used the tips from Nisse99 - going to services.msc and stopping Windows update service. We have fiber Internet and wi-fi. This laptop is rarely used and has very few files stored on it. This installation was started early this afternoon and it's now midnight. If it hasn't completed by morning, can I look for all Win 10 files and also the upgrade shortcut and just delete them ? Then go back and start anew ?

Reaction score
I you are using a wireless connection it does take forever, just for the updates alone. I would strongly recommend using a DSL connection nit WiFi for the the big update at the end of the month. It could have a greater impact than the millennium bug Y2K?

I am SOOOOOO over upgrades and updates! I have disabled the automatic updates - at least as far as I can. Mac OS does this so much better - lets you decide if you even want them downloaded, much less installed.

jfp

Reaction score

Reaction score
hey. I have the windows 10 and Ive seen that is an update it seems big anyway I downloaded it and installed it but stucks at 99% please any help!!!!!

Ask a Question