Laptop Keyboard Not Working -- Can't Enter Password

Reaction score
Using a Lenovo laptop. I've been able to open the Advanced options by hitting the Enter key after powering on, but my keyboard doesn't work after that and I have a password on my laptop so I am unable to do a system restore, as the first thing the computer does is ask me to enter the password. I cannot find any way to activate an Onscreen Keyboard. I have attached a USB keyboard and removed and reinstalled the battery -- no effect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So then you have a touch screen notebook? this sounds like a Lenovo issue rather than a 10 issue, on touch screen there usually is a FN + Key to switch between screen keyboard and mechanical keyboard. If I get what your saying is that In PE mode your keyboard is disabled and your screen keyboard is not activated. This leads me to think that your bootable install media need to have the keyboard drivers/onscreen keyboard drivers? I don't have a Lenovo nor ever had one so I don't know exactly how your notebook drivers work but the principle would be the same some how you need the drivers to load for the onscreen keyboard to work.
You might also try a USB Eternal keyboard to get you past this.

Reaction score
No, this is are regular Lenovo laptop, no touch screen. The problem is simply this: the keyboard doesn't work. I can interrupt the startup to open the Advanced Options (by hitting the Enter key on startup) but I can't enter my password which is required to do anything, like a system restore. If I could get an onscreen keyboard to appear, then I could use the mouse to enter my password -- unfortunately, I can't locate any onscreen keyboard.
I tried attaching a USB keyboard, but it doesn't work either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
try their homepage and look at the manual for your model if you don't have a copy, you might be able to do a system recovery
There's nothing in the manual about how to do a system recovery without entering the password. Data backup isn't an issue as all my data is on the cloud.
I'm pretty sure this is a Windows problem -- I can use the Enter key to divert normal startup to the Advanced Options screen, but then the computer doesn't acknowledge any keystrokes after that. Something in Windows is killing communication from the keyboard.
Perhaps I confused the issue by listing all the things I HAVE tried. So let me be clear:
Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password entry screen, but keyboard doesn't work so I can't enter the password
Solutions tried:
1. rebooted
2. removed and replaced main battery
3. attached USB keyboard
4. hit Enter key on startup: successful in opening the Advance Options menu, but am unable to take any of the actions because all require that I enter the laptop password
5. looked for an onscreen keyboard, but there isn't one because this isn't a touch screen computer

Reaction score
Symptoms seem to be evolving... Current symptoms:
1. Laptop keyboard doesn't work at all. I can't even break into the startup to divert to the Advanced Options screen, as I had been able to do earlier.
2. I DO have capability through an external keyboard now -- I tried plugging the USB connector into various USB ports on the computer and have found one that works. So I am able to use the computer but can't use the keyboard.
3. The Hardware and Keyboard Troubleshooters report there are no problems

Reaction score
its beginning to sound like a hardware issue to me!! Lenovo may have a proprietary driver for their keyboard, but with keyboard and USB ports not working sound like hardware issue to me.
Most notebook manufactures have a support website where you can download the correct drivers for your hardware, most notebooks will need the correct drivers to work correctly, there not like desktops at all

Reaction score
Most likely a broken keyboard, if it is detachable, buy a replacement keyboard for it. Most laptops have non replaceable keyboards these days, hook up an external keyboard and see if you can type.

Reaction score
this all started when i was trying to down load an upgrade divers on my laptop lost net drivers like a dummy i did a reboot. i should have hit sys restore now i cant get back in my G50-30 laptop. the keyboard will not type. i can manage to get the onscreen keyboard up and type in my password but when i hit enter i get a blue box over my login then it reboots itself then im back to try it all over again. i need to get to a sys restore somehow if i put back my windows 8 will m-soft give me a free windows 10 i do really like windows 10 so i do not want to loose it

Ask a Question