Diablo 3

Reaction score
The only reason I return to Windows 8 (an excellent OS, by the way) is to play Diablo 3. It keeps locking up on Win 10. On the Diablo 3 forums, they say that I need to upgrade my video card drivers, but they are updated.

This Windows 7 game played well on both 7 and 8, and it is the only game that I could play on 7 or 8 that won't play on 10.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Did you update them correctly by uninstalling the present ones with DDU in safe mode, and installing the new ones?

Reaction score
Did you update them correctly by uninstalling the present ones with DDU in safe mode, and installing the new ones?

After looking at various Display Driver Uninstallers on the web, I do not see a safe way to uninstall and then re-install video drivers that is superior to doing it through Windows 10's built-in method. As the results are doubtful, and Diablo 3 plays well on Win 8 on a different partition, I'm not willing to take the chance at this time.

I do appreciate your taking the time to answer, however, and I will post your solution on a Diablo forum to see if anyone else tried it.

Reaction score
After looking at various Display Driver Uninstallers on the web, I do not see a safe way to uninstall and then re-install video drivers that is superior to doing it through Windows 10's built-in method. As the results are doubtful, and Diablo 3 plays well on Win 8 on a different partition, I'm not willing to take the chance at this time.

I do appreciate your taking the time to answer, however, and I will post your solution on a Diablo forum to see if anyone else tried it.
Dude, I've been PC gaming for 20 years. Windows has never uninstalled video drivers correctly and it still doesn't. It leaves behind registry entries, and sometimes old .ddl files. Every serious gamer I know uses DDU to uninstall their video drivers.

Reaction score
I used to use Driver Sweeper. While it worked just as well, the interface wasn't very friendly. Drivers may not be the issue, but it's an easy place to start.

My next question would be, did you upgrade or do a clean install of Windows 10? If the game worked fine on the same hardware using Windows 7 and 8, there's no reason it won't run fin on Windows 10.

Reaction score
Thank you, BigFeet.

When I had my Windows 7 rig built, I had the shop partition the drive and add a legal copy of 32-bit XP, which allowed me to run some games that my 64 bit Windows 7 couldn't run. Later, I added another partition for Windows 8.

Diablo 3 is designed for Windows 7 and ran well. Using Windows 8 on the same machine, it ran equally well. About two months ago, I upgraded 7 to 10, which runs well. In fact, 10 plays some of my old games that neither 7 nor 8 could play.

However, Diablo 3 keeps locking up on me in 10. Until it locks up, it plays as well as it did on 7 and 8.

I learned about free DDU software from this thread, and I am looking into it. But since 10 is running fine otherwise, and since D3 plays fine on 8, I see no real reason to take a chance.

Ask a Question