Finalising CD-Rs

Reaction score
If there is a message stating ‘files waiting to be written to disk’ does this mean that the CD-R isn’t finalised? I’m sure that the file waiting is the same one that is already burnt onto the CD-R.

How do you know if the CD-R hasn’t been finalised? It plays in a standard CD player. Is this indication that it’s finalised?

Reaction score
I've found my CD-R discs are finalized when the burning has completed and the drive opened to allow removing the disc. I've heard there are some burning programs that can treat the CD-R discs as if they are CD-RW but haven't tried it. The same applies to DVD discs.

Reaction score
I've had that message out of the blue. I don't know what triggers it at times. If you have created a file list for burning but haven't yet done so. The application may still be storing the list in recent memory. But since you say you have burned the disk. I couldn't say for sure.

Reaction score
I just remembered having seen a desktop.ini file included, needed to delete it as not needed.

Reaction score
You might be using bad disk, poorly made. I found a lot of issues using memorex and found out they are not the greatest. They showed that the silver coating was rough around the edge. The program I was using showed a disk burning error and when I clicked the link I swear it said, based on your arrival here you must be using memosucks. That was convertX dvd software. Then I found the disk from Staples worked great. It's probably been 10 years since I burned a disk so I don't know if it's changed. I used to make a lot of DVD's though. Back then a big flash drive was 500 meg.

Reaction score
I had always assumed that, when some longish task is initiated, it is not completed immediately, but is implemented in moments of relative cpu idleness, until finished. If the destination is to be closed - e.g., disc is to be ejected - or the computer is to be shut down, then there is a "tidy up" phase, in which the outstanding work is completed. (There may be several such processes at shutdown.) I cannot see any other way that computers could be reliable - am I right in this supposition?

Reaction score
@Noviceuser2022

If the disc plays in your CD player the session has been finalised, it wouldn't play otherwise. How are you burning your discs, are you using Windows 10 to do this or some other burning software? Which make of disc do you use?

Ask a Question