Fonts/text are grey and not black

Reaction score
Now with a new computer and this problem seems to have come back. Actually since I reinstalled Win 10 Pro it has come back I found the Clear-type font thing helpful to some degree but not fully

Reaction score
So glad there are others experiencing the same problem. I want black text not grey - or gray for my US friends! Does anyone have any more suggestions or is it just a Windows 10 problem. is there a windows 11 and if so is it better?

Reaction score
You want the bold font all over forums: etc..or?
As you can see here: Most apps have there own adjustments

Reaction score
So glad there are others experiencing the same problem. I want black text not grey - or gray for my US friends! Does anyone have any more suggestions or is it just a Windows 10 problem. is there a windows 11 and if so is it better?
A tip, change your User Profile to remove your E-Mail address so as to avoid spam and/or scams, don't know if any nefarious folks are reading here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I would like all text to be black and not grey. Before I updated my PC I could read everything quite clearly - now it's just too faint. i wish I could un-update!
A tip, change your User Profile to remove your E-Mail address so as to avoid spam and/or scams, don't know if any nefarious folks are reading here.
Oh thanks for that. I'm too thick to know how to do that - please can you help? I didn't even realise it would show my email address!

Reaction score
I would like all text to be black and not grey. Before I updated my PC I could read everything quite clearly - now it's just too faint. i wish I could un-update!

Oh thanks for that. I'm too thick to know how to do that - please can you help? I didn't even realise it would show my email address!
I have emailed the admin. I think he will take care of it for you

Reaction score
To me it was never a question of bold, it was about grey vs black (and extreme white background everywhere would be a lot easier on the eye if it were a very light grey--or blue--but that's another issue.)

Reaction score
To me it was never a question of bold, it was about grey vs black (and extreme white background everywhere would be a lot easier on the eye if it were a very light grey--or blue--but that's another issue.)
I suggest you need to experiment with your background and themes in the settings. The choices are infinite.
Not sure how well it will show here with a clip, but, mine:
1680342002274.png

and:
1680342047145.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks @davehc you continue to be helpful. Actually I did experiment 'til I went blind so to speak (not literally). The fact remains the same. As I view my text here it is grey. If I go to word, it's grey (albeit darker unless it's bold or a large font--12 or higher depending on font), Adobe Acrobat grey (again, albeit darker or unless it's bold) Windows Explorer seems to be the only place that has it black. I think, if I recall correctly, the main culprits were web pages and Acrobat.
Thanks again
P.S. I wonder if I should close this thread? Hm!

Reaction score
Thanks @davehc you continue to be helpful. Actually I did experiment 'til I went blind so to speak (not literally). The fact remains the same. As I view my text here it is grey. If I go to word, it's grey (albeit darker unless it's bold or a large font--12 or higher depending on font), Adobe Acrobat grey (again, albeit darker or unless it's bold) Windows Explorer seems to be the only place that has it black. I think, if I recall correctly, the main culprits were web pages and Acrobat.
Thanks again
P.S. I wonder if I should close this thread? Hm!
Not yet:oops:

Reaction score
Refer back to post #10 (Trouble)
Browse through your program files, or start menu, and look for anything labelled Nvidia or intel, It will rpobably pen a control panel where several advanced details can be adjusted.

Reaction score
nVidia?? As I mentioned back when going there would affect, images, photos and video. My topic (problem) refers to text only--font.
BTW your March 30th comment, with the bold, still has the bold as looking grey (albeit a dark one) and not black. :)
It appears to be in the programming of Windows, and Browsers and many apps.

greyBlack.JPG

Ask a Question