Fonts/text are grey and not black

Reaction score
I went everywhere that deals with text and there seems to be nowhere to change font color so to speak: one can make it bold, bigger or smaller but not change the color. With the exception of titles and some text here and there, much of my text everywhere (web pages, pdf files, etc,) look more grey then they do black. And also very thin, regardless of font.
thank you

Reaction score
In the Search box by the Start button, type "cleartype". You see the first item in the list is "Adjust Cleartype text" in the Control Panel.

If you go through that wizard, it should help you get the text to the best state possible.

Reaction score
Thanks Calab. I had thought of adding that info while I was asking my question and I guess I should have done so.
In reply to your suggestion I had done so already, and it being a lap top had set it to be blacker and ''bigger'' than usual. This is why I found it most odd.
BTW as an extra, things look particularly bad in in Adobe Acrobat and Reader (but not as much reading a pdf within a browser).

Reaction score
I also am struggling with the grey text,, who would have thought this would be an issue in windows 10.. I am sorry I upgraded. I have tried every suggestion here and am still frustrated ,, I feel like my eyesight is going, but it is the stupid setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I don't know if the problem solved itself or if I just got used to it but a thought occured to me, which some of you may want to try out. Why not get a copy of linux or something and see what you see, If all seems better then you know the culprit.

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone found solution. All trying to get text black are for nothing including clear types.
I know it is a GOOGLE fashion with the grey text, but really not usefull if you need to read a olot and clearly
Any plugin or setting to get back a Black and White document or website
thanks
BTW google is blocked anyway in my country... lol

Reaction score
As with others, I am VERY unhappy struggling to read gray text. Is Microsoft going to fix this? Wish I had not upgraded to Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Most video drivers will have their own control panel for adjusting various aspects of performance.
My suggestion would be to explore and experiment with the various settings that are available there.
I generally will experience some pretty good relief from adding "Digital vibrance" and lowering the "Gamma" setting.
Note their respective current settings and test by changing them one at a time and see if you get any better results.
Screen shot of my nVidia adapter settings below.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Most video drivers will have their own control panel for adjusting various aspects of performance.......from adding "Digital vibrance" and lowering the "Gamma" setting.......... see if you get any better results.
View attachment 8026
Good idea perhaps except I would assume this particular adjustment would also influence how you view movies, video games and photos.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suspect it would, as it has global impact, although I do not expect that the results would necessarily be negative.
Personally, I've not noticed anything negative, but....
Everyone would need to make their own determination.

Reaction score
I've tried them all: the ClearType test, gammas, high contrast, & changing colors. None of them worked. Microsoft said the problem is in windows 10.

Reaction score
Anyone have a solution yet? I'm having the same problem, light grey instead of black on my computer screen. New laptop, undated Windows 10 on 12/5/2020.

Reaction score
Go to settings and click personalization and then color. Now you can select any color for your font.
There are no settings there for text (and fonts) as far as I can see. It's about general settings: background colors of desktop, start menu etc.

Reaction score
I invested in a $2K HP Envy AIO with a 32" monitor - and find the gray text in Windows 10 unbearable. Even with my cheaters the gray text is horrible. I have no issues reading books, street signs, etc. Just this darn Win10 gray lettering. Making the text HUGE helps somewhat but I want BLACK text which seems an impossibility, even after what looks like 4-5 years of complaints to Microsoft about this issue. Funnily enough, my elderly mom has Win 7 (now no longer supported by Microsoft) and text in her system is BRIGHT, BEAUTIFUL and BLACK...we both can read online material with no problems. Folks, as of 2021 there is no way to change the gray text in Win10 to black.

Reaction score
Try changing the resolution. I was able to sort it out for both of my screens Dell and HP. Try all the available resolution in advanced display settings.

Reaction score
With a new computer this problem seems to have come back. Actually since I reinstalled Win 10 Pro it has come back I found the Clear-type font thing helpful to some degree but not fully

Ask a Question