Fonts/text are grey and not black

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Michael

Michael

I went everywhere that deals with text and there seems to be nowhere to change font color so to speak: one can make it bold, bigger or smaller but not change the color. With the exception of titles and some text here and there, much of my text everywhere (web pages, pdf files, etc,) look more grey then they do black. And also very thin, regardless of font.
    thank you

Michael, Aug 1, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Michael

Calab

In the Search box by the Start button, type "cleartype". You see the first item in the list is "Adjust Cleartype text" in the Control Panel.

If you go through that wizard, it should help you get the text to the best state possible.

Calab, Aug 1, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Michael

Michael

Thanks Calab. I had thought of adding that info while I was asking my question and I guess I should have done so.
    In reply to your suggestion I had done so already, and it being a lap top had set it to be blacker and ''bigger'' than usual. This is why I found it most odd.
    BTW as an extra, things look particularly bad in in Adobe Acrobat and Reader (but not as much reading a pdf within a browser).

Michael, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Michael

george haber

tried the above but still unable to darken the text. would really appreciate help here

george haber, Dec 14, 2015
    Mimi339 and Malin like this.
  5. Michael

bless

I also am struggling with the grey text,, who would have thought this would be an issue in windows 10.. I am sorry I upgraded. I have tried every suggestion here and am still frustrated ,, I feel like my eyesight is going, but it is the stupid setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bless, Apr 22, 2017
    Mimi339 likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael

I don't know if the problem solved itself or if I just got used to it but a thought occured to me, which some of you may want to try out. Why not get a copy of linux or something and see what you see, If all seems better then you know the culprit.

Michael, Apr 23, 2017
  7. Michael

Mike 888

I am wondering if anyone found solution. All trying to get text black are for nothing including clear types.
    I know it is a GOOGLE fashion with the grey text, but really not usefull if you need to read a olot and clearly
    Any plugin or setting to get back a Black and White document or website
    thanks
    BTW google is blocked anyway in my country... lol

Mike 888, Sep 14, 2017
    Mimi339 likes this.
  8. Michael

Mimi339

Any luck darkening font on Windows 10? Not at all happy struggling to read and clear text didn't help at all.

Mimi339, Feb 6, 2018
  9. Michael

Mimi339

As with others, I am VERY unhappy struggling to read gray text. Is Microsoft going to fix this? Wish I had not upgraded to Windows 10.

Mimi339, Feb 6, 2018
  10. Michael

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

Most video drivers will have their own control panel for adjusting various aspects of performance.
    My suggestion would be to explore and experiment with the various settings that are available there.
    I generally will experience some pretty good relief from adding "Digital vibrance" and lowering the "Gamma" setting.
    Note their respective current settings and test by changing them one at a time and see if you get any better results.
    Screen shot of my nVidia adapter settings below.

Capture.PNG

Trouble, Feb 6, 2018
  11. Michael

Michael

Good idea perhaps except I would assume this particular adjustment would also influence how you view movies, video games and photos.

Michael, Feb 8, 2018
  12. Michael

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

I suspect it would, as it has global impact, although I do not expect that the results would necessarily be negative.
    Personally, I've not noticed anything negative, but....
    Everyone would need to make their own determination.

Trouble, Feb 8, 2018
  13. Michael

Hnami sunai

Go to settings and click personalization and then color. Now you can select any color for your font.

Hnami sunai, May 12, 2018
  14. Michael

classamima

still everything in gray...want my black text back so I can see it...thanks

classamima, Jun 14, 2018
  15. Michael

Lou212

I've tried them all: the ClearType test, gammas, high contrast, & changing colors. None of them worked. Microsoft said the problem is in windows 10.

Lou212, Aug 5, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question